Friday, April 24, 2009

from the bygone era of a few years ago

So GeoCities is being sent to the termination booth in the near future. My earliest webpages were done on GeoCities, before I switched to Tripod and later focused on this here blog. As a way of keeping some of this stuff from going the way of the dodo, I'll be doing some reposting here. Today I'll be starting with my old quotes file.

[Psycho Dave] was the only guy I know who used a random monster encounter chart for Call of Cthulhu. You haven't lived until you've had a character go mad because he saw a nightgaunt sitting in a restroom stall reading a copy of the Necronomicon.

-Al Bruno III


Star Wars probably wouldn't have been quite as big a success if Darth Vader had been named Mungo Dingleberry, Luke had been Willmer Dadlikemey and Obi-Wan been Dingo Frootbat.

-Marius Bredsdorff, Godless Commie


I wish I could find some people to play straight up OD&D. No character development, no nothing. Just a posse and a dungeon. And also, a dragon.

-King of NoPants, Pantsless Wonder


a bad GM won't be able to keep even a game of Dungeons and Dragons from overwhelming him

-Kevin Maginn, talking smack in his review of Nobilis


The original D&D seems, quite obviously, to be a pastiche of Fritz Leiber and Robert E. Howard adventure stories, set in a Tolkeinian world of Moorcockian morality, using Jack Vance's magic system, redacted for multiple protagonists. No wonder things are confused.

-Kenneth Hite


The other night, I whipped out my Rules Cyclopedia and B2 Keep on the Borderlands. We had an absolute freaking blast.

-Jeffrey A. Webb


How many times can you meet at the Gold Dragon Inn to go off to far away StrangeLand and fight the evil mage BadGuy?

-Gary Pellino


AD&D has probably brought more new gamers to the hobby than all other games combined. On that merit alone, it deserves our respect. Of course, for some of us, that's AD&D's only merit. But that's another story altogether.

-Jake de Oude


I'm afraid that nostalgia clouds my thoughts so much when it comes to discussing any version of DnD that I find myself at a loss. I always start drifting of into daydreams where Elf and Dwarf are classes and The Caves of Chaos are the only rpg lovin that I need.

-Chris Edwards, on the Forge

10 comments:

  1. Kenneth Hite is an unusually perceptive guy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Geocities is going bye bye, be sure to save this page before it's gone...

    http://www.geocities.com/rgfdfaq/tsrfonts.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny-- one of the bloggers in the pagan community is actually quite happy that a lot of the ultra-crappy websites from the early-mid 1990's will finally be swept into the dustbin of history. Some of those early pages were an embarrassing mess of sparkling animated .gifs and copyright infringement. I suspect the gaming community is similarly afflicted...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I shot an email to the owner of the TSR & WotC Font FAQ page offering to host it myself. Thanks for the reminder on that, Dan...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, you want to hear something CRAZY? I used to BE the King of NoPants and I FORGOT! At the time I posting on RPG.net, I also used another handle that I ended up sticking with longer. Funnily enough, here I am AGAIN, back into OD&D and I STILL can't find anyone to play. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and I shot an email to the owner of the TSR & WotC Font FAQ page offering to host it myself.Very cool, let us know if you host it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is also this site for font info:
    http://mystara.thorf.co.uk/fontfaq.php

    ReplyDelete
  8. How many times can you meet at the Gold Dragon Inn to go off to far away StrangeLand and fight the evil mage BadGuy?A lot, but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This quote:

    Star Wars probably wouldn't have been quite as big a success if Darth Vader had been named Mungo Dingleberry, Luke had been Willmer Dadlikemey and Obi-Wan been Dingo Frootbat.... deftly sidesteps the painful truth, which is that Luke is named Luke Skywalker, a name every bit as giggle-inducing as Willmer Dadlikemey, if not moreso.

    I mean, even after a few decades to get used to it, "Luke Skywalker" still makes me snort milk through my nose if I pause to think about it for more than a second. Sometimes it happens even if I'm not drinking milk. This worries me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joseph sez Some of those early pages were an embarrassing mess of sparkling animated .gifs and copyright infringement.Kind of like MySpace, but with a greater sense of restraint.

    ReplyDelete