Monday, April 16, 2007

New (old) comics

I went to the FLGS today in search of an old module, but the place was inexplicably closed. The comic guy who shares space with the gamestore said John (the gamestore owner) probably overslept. Again. Did I mention it was 1:30pm when I arrived.

But the comic dude was more than happy to take my money. And he was running one of those "Please Buy This Old Crap, We Assure You It Is On Sale" sales. Six bucks got me the treasure trove below.

Ray Palmer is John Carter!I don't know much about the Atom outside his one Superfriends appearance. But a dude with a sword fighting a dinosaur to protect a scantily clad alien chick? That's right up my alley. I've got to take a few points off for wearing a loincloth over a standard spandex supersuit. That's got to be some sort of fashion faux pas.

Dare I ask 'who let the dogs out'?Title Undetermined's Wild Dog Week convinced me to give this book a try. Wild Dog is like the Punisher of the DC universe, only he wears a hockey mask and fights terrorists in the Quad Cities. No, seriously.

Doctor Midnight is awesome.I greatly enjoyed the two JSA trades available at the local library, but what really sold me on this was the fact that the pencils are by Mike Parobeck.

Never mind how you feel... I said KILL HIM!If you can look at this cover and not want to read this issue, then I can only assume you are not a fan of stuff that is awesome.


Don't ask-- Just buy!
This cover is like an old 3 Stooges gag.I remember reading on some comics blog a while back about 'Mazing Man. It was a short-lived comedy series about a good-natured dude who just started wearing a funny costume and helping people. I'm a sucker for that kind of tale. Because, really, don't all superhero fans daydream about doing just that? At least once in a while? Hello? Is this thing on?

Hmmm, this may be the first time I've ever gone to the comic store and came back with only DC stuff. I eyed some issues of the original run of Howard the Duck, but the price was too rich for my blood.

7 comments:

  1. I was hoping those copies of 'Maze went to a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:44 AM

    I remember with a kind of vague neutrality that Sword of the Atom miniseries :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were those your comics, intruder_w?

    That'd be hilarious, seeing as how I've currently got a bunch of your comics on loan. BTW, I read your copy of Punisher War Journal #6 yesterday. Now I know who Frank was talking about in that panel that Sims posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun stuff, Jeff. With the exception of the 'Mazing Man comics, which never really interested me, all the rest are in my collection and hold warm places in my heart. I loved the Sword of the Atom miniseries in its day, wish for a return of Wild Dog, and really loved the old Karate Kid series, especially the logo.

    Good memories. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, but they've been in the longboxes since they were the quarter bin.

    And who wouldn't want to shoot him in the face?

    ReplyDelete
  6. And who wouldn't want to shoot him in the face?

    Oh, sure. Everybody complains about supertech neo-nazis, but nobody does anything about it. Except the Punisher. And until recently, Captain America.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's more accurate to say that Vigilante is DC's Punisher. But Wild Dog is the bomb. I read one where he had to rescue a mall from terrorists. I love the fact that he doesn't really talk (or at least not in the ones I read) and doesn't have powers (so far as I know). He's just a guy who woke up one day and decided... yep, time to put on a goalie mask and fight crime.

    ReplyDelete