Thursday, November 09, 2006

RIP Basil Poledouris

This morning I found out that Basil Poledouris passed away yesterday, a victim of cancer. Mr. Poledouris was responsible for one of the awesomest musical recordings ever created, the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack. I'm not familiar with the rest of the man's work but the Conan soundtrack is so amazing it was actually the first CD I ever purchased. And I bought it years before I ever owned a CD player. It's one of the few pieces of music I'll play at my game table, as it never ceases to be inspiring. When it distracts me from the game with its pure over-the-top pomposity, I just don't care. If it's wrong to briefly pause from smashing orcs to listen to "Anvil of Crom" then I don't want to be right.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:23 AM

    Methinks some devilish Stygian spellchecker has you posting nonsense about the "Anvil of Crown"

    You mean of course the Anvil of CROM.

    Don't worry, Crom dosen't care if you spell his name right or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corrected! Thanks, anon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn...

    That's one of the few soundtracks I have on my mp3 player.

    I'll have to fire it up in rememberance of Basil this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will tell anyone who listens that his "Conan" score was the best film-to-score matchup in the history of whatever you bring me. It's a lush, bombastic, brilliant work and Mr Poledouris left that to us.

    He'll be missed, and appreciated. He did good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:19 AM

    What a shame!
    That is a fantastic album, and the soundtrack to numerous gaming adventures over the year.
    Plus, the dude's name is Basil Pouledouris....how cool is that?

    ReplyDelete