Saturday, November 25, 2006

5 Random Thoughts

  • I am no longer interested in character generation software for tabletop RPGs. If I need computerized help to make my character, I don't want to play that game. Some days I can barely tolerate the complication of modern D&D and that's my favorite game. I'm through trying to wrestle with complicated chargen for other systems.

  • This may be the best single comic panel I have ever seen:

    This scan is about 3 times the size it appears in the book.(From "My Day" by Chris Ware, appearing in the anthology McSweeney's Quartlery Concern (issue 13).)

  • System Does Matter, but a lot of time and effort spent chasing the perfect system could be focused into actually playing a mechanically suboptimal yet fun game.

  • I think RPG Pundit's constant drumbeat of 'swine' infesting the RPG scene is starting to damage my brain. Last night I had a dream in which I was reading a book on RPG theory and in it I encountered a new word: hamculture.

  • The hobby needs more ready-to-run adventures. Crunchtastic rules supplements are fun for the players but adventures drive my game. You've heard of National Novel Writing Month? I would suggest that our hobby needs Worldwide Module Writing Month.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:50 PM

    Jeff, Jeff, Jeff.Period.

    An US Resident who complains about not having enough ready to run adventures?
    Try living with non english speakers for a while. You, Jeff, have access to more cool D&D Adventures, ready to run, than anybody else in the world.
    Imagine a world with only four published D&D 3.5 modules. Stop the whine, and enjoy your goodman, necromancer and Dungeon stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to be the one whining my friend! Or did you not notice that you are complaining about a local shortage of modules immediately after I suggested that worldwide supplies should be increased?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So... is it possible to stop "whining" at each other and perhpas put our heads together about how to organize said Wolrdwide Module Writing Month event?

    Just a thought...

    peace... Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave, Set and I are trying to have an argument ovber here! Don't screw that up with all your nonsense about doing something constructive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:08 AM

    Let´s whine together instead:

    We want more generic adventure material! We want fully statted NPC collections! We want Dungeons which can be dropped into any campaign!

    Or let´s stop whining and start chanting:

    Mo- Mo- More Modules!
    *waving banner*
    Mo- Mo- More Modules!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:28 PM

    Name the month. I'll finally write Swamp Castle.

    ReplyDelete