Monday, August 28, 2006

more theRPGsite.com news

RPGpundit asked me to be one of the admins over at theRPGsite.com and I have accepted the position. At times Pundit's approach to online interaction can be a little... agressive. Yeah, let's go with that. I may end up playing the Murtaugh to his Riggs. As far as stupid message board antics go I really am getting to old for this shit, so when I took the job I did so with the proviso that if this shebang gets too big or too stupid I won't be around for long.

That being said, I really like his vision for theRPGsite.com and I want it to work. I think there's a place in the hobby for another vigorous hub of online activity. Especially a new site that espouses RPGs as a hobby. I know that sounds stupid. Of course RPGs are a hobby. But if you look at several major sites it would be hard to tell that. ENworld is the playground of the hardcore D&D enthusiast. I can't follow the technical details of some threads and I'm not exactly what you would call an outsider to the two D's and an ampersand. The Forge is about games as art. And RPGnet seems to be as much about the RPG geek lifestyle as the actual playing of games. In retrospect maybe that as much as the modding is what caused me to stop posting there. I couldn't keep up with the kids who were more into the geek life than I.

All three of those sites are places that serve a useful function and I don't hesitate to recommend them to people whose needs would be served by what they offer. But if your approach to gaming is a little more laid back, then maybe theRPGsite could be the place for you. If you're the kind of person who thinks that roleplaying is supernifty but also understands that it's just a hobby, maybe I'll see you over at the new RPGsite.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:54 PM

    I think you'll be a necessary addition at the site. You need both ends of the spectrum to make it work-- a giant, inflamatory a-hole and a more reasoned, intelligent personality. Mike and I represent both those ends of the spectrum, and that's one of the things that have made Animalball work for us-- I appeal to the edgier a-holes, and he appeals to the "nice guys." You have to have a good balance of both for the site to work, so I'm glad to see you're on board with Pundit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:31 AM

    I'm glad to see you're on board, Jeff. I'm sort of in the same boat as you are--I have no desire to be a gaming hipster, and I, too, desire a site where my gaming hobby is recognized as just that--a hobby.

    I love the precepts behind the site, and I really hope their collaborative works section takes off. Cheers to you for volunteering to help out over there.

    Brasky, hope to see you & Mike over there, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I be the Leo Getz to your Murtaugh and Pundit's Riggs?

    Maybe that's not such a good analogy to shoot for..

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come around and be deep, Alan! Just understand the audience may be composed largely of people who game for the tasty snacks and clattering of dice.

    ReplyDelete