Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Wizardly Wednesday


Don Herbert, a.k.a. Mr. Wizard, was the first guy to host a kid's TV show all about science.  He was basically the Bill Nye the Science Guy of the black and white era.  He also had a revival on Nickelodeon that some of you might remember.

I think I recall reading a few years back that a toy company wanted to release a retro Mr. Wizard Chemistry Set based upon the ones sold back in the 60's, but it turned out that most of the contents of the original were no longer legal to sell to the general public.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:28 AM

    http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.06/chemistry_pr.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:26 PM

    Chemistry is illegal now? Not surprising, but certainly disappointing.

    Wouldn't it be neat if there was a country dedicated to freedom? That would be swell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Used to be one of my favorite shows. I miss the guy. Bill Nye is cool and all, but Mr. Wizard was "more awesomer" by far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm one of those who remember him from the Nickelodeon revival. Used to run home from school so I wouldn't miss any of it and then beg my father to let me try some of the things that they showed on there.

    While I'll always think of those times with fond nostalgia I think my favorite science kids show was Beakmans World when I watched it with my niece and nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:56 PM

    I'm regularly amazed you can buy a GALLON of noxious, poisonous, dangerous BLEACH for like a dollar. In every grocery store. And they have the gall to say you can't have a chemistry set.

    CAPTCHA: endrive. What an endive does after he gets his license.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard that in Texas, you need to have a permit to own an Erlenmeyer flask, but you don't need to register ownership of a gun.

    Because you know what those things are used for? Making Crystal Meth. Nothing else.

    Gotta love paranoia.

    ReplyDelete