Sunday, July 31, 2011

Chainmail vs ADD1 on Weapon vs Armor

Hey, I finally found my 1st edition Players Handbook! I's been missing for a couple weeks now. Turns out it slid down between the arm and cushion of the easy chair. Anyway, that allows me to finish my look at weapon versus armor modifiers in early D&D. Back in the middle of July I converted a few items on the Chainmail weapon versus armor chart to a d20 roll.  The next logical step is to compare these to the 1st edition AD&D weapon versus armor rules.

(click to embiggen)

The first line for each weapon is my Chainmail conversion target numbers.  The second line is an AD&D Normal Man using the same weapon.  I expected the numbers to line up a lot better than they did.  If I was Uncle Gary and sat down to write the AD&D version of the chart I would start with the one I already wrote as my basis.

5 comments:

  1. What's the bonus for boiling broth v. trollflesh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Battle Axe got nerfed.

    Maybe it deserved to be, I'm just saying that it's quite a change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jeff, you may find this old thread of mine useful, if you have not seen it before: Weapon Types versus Armour Class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, MJS! If I saw that before I forgot about it.!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to be of service!

    ReplyDelete