Friday, March 03, 2006

Reality Check, Please

Hey, folks. Help me out here. Am I being a dick? After once again spotting someone on RPGnet bitching about a lack of local players, I posted this:
I've done this once before, but it's worth repeating:

RPGnet has over 25,000 registered users. If you have any interest whatsoever in finding other local gamers, please make use of your Location field. See over there above the main text of this post and to the right where it says I'm in Urbana, IL? Some of the players in my current campaign found me simply because they saw I lived in their part of the world. The same could happen to you, if you choose to put accurate information in that field.

To edit your Location field, click on 'User CP' in the menu bar at the top of the page. Then click Edit Profile on the lefthand side of the screen that pops up. Your Location field will appear under 'Additional Information'. Type in your information, click 'Save Changes' and you're good to go.

Please note that it's totally cool to choose not to make this change to your account, or to put some sort of joke in your Location field. But if you go that route then I reserve the right to mock you behind your back if you start posting things like 'Woe is me! I can't find players.'

That is all.
In the original thread RPGnetter J Arcane seems to think I'm being unnecessarily snarky. I think I got a legit point. Opinions?

8 comments:

  1. Christ on a crutch. Now I've got a mod "non-warning" for my efforts.

    [mod red]Just remember not to mock people publically. We don't allow that, and will act if you do.[/mod red]

    That's pretty damn insulting considering I've been on the board for almost four years now; I don't think I've ever had a single warning for personal attacks or anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Mr. Arcane apologuzed for coming on too strong but I still don't see the reason for my thread (which several people are finding useful) to be stunk up by a mod throwing his weight around. What is the crap, pre-emptive modding? The mod might as well have said "As far as we can tell no one broke the rules, but we just wanted to remind you that we're out here watching your every damn move." Fucking A!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:30 AM

    They've gone pretty fucking police-state, haven't they?

    Perhaps it would be shorter to list the topics that won't be grounds for a warning or banning. I can think of two:

    1) Congrats threads to new mods, saying how bloody wonderful they'll be.

    2) How wonderful the Borg, Nobilis, or both are. Also Weapons of the Gods. That is all.

    I thought it was about the least offensive thread I've seen, and actually served a friggin' purpose. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for backing me up, Zachary. I'm reminded by your presence that I've meant to put RPGblog.org into my bloglines list.

    I tried visiting EN World for a little non-RPGnet message board fun, but the very first thread I hit contained someone snarking on whiny RPGnetters complaining about how hard running d20 is. Seems I can't win for losing today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:44 AM

    Yeah, some days are like that. Some days rpg.net doesn't seem so bad, and others, I'm almost half-scared to post anything. But what else out there fills that (intended) function?

    But yes, I thought it was total nonsense. It was a reminder to folks, nothing more. It's shocking what now evidently constitutes a personal or group attack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I've been a member of the Child of Mecha
    boards for about two years now, and have yet to
    post for these same reasons.
    Anytime someone posts for "lineart for gelgoog-jg" or the like, there's between 2-5 mods who autorespond to read the archives. Usually, when I look at the archives,
    I find nothing related to their query, and sometimes
    not even MAHQ, or some of the other gundam
    boards or fansites have anything. Since I joined on
    for scratchbuilding information for items that
    don't exist in the real world, that sort of shit is frustrating.

    Just wanted to let you know this crap is endemic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:08 PM

    Huh, I didn't know Zach was an RPGnet hater. And to think I like RPG Blog all this time on its merits, not its politics. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:16 PM

    Well, Brasky, I try to keep my gaming politics out of my site, and focus on pure reviews, news, and freebies I think are of interest. I know it's more vanilla that way, but my site is geared toward gaming rookies as well as 'net veterans, and I don't trust myself to control my ranting if I were to get started.

    But, yeah, rpg.net's done a lot of things as of late I'm really displeased with. I'm glad some folks are calling 'em on it.

    ReplyDelete