Monday, March 27, 2006

An Itching For Lead

Although RPGs are my preferred sort of game, I like other sorts kinds of games as well. Mondays I play boardgames, mostly German stuff like Puerto Rico. I have an on-again, off-again relationship with wargames. The last time I was really hot and heavy into wargaming was BattleTech back in high school. BattleTech is one of those games that combines the comforting structure of a hex map with the awesomeness of miniatures. The measuring tapes and foam terrain of most minis games turn me off almost as much as the tiny cardboard chits of the board wargames.

Still, I get a hankering to try some more minis wargaming from time to time. I think I get these urges because I enjoy exploring the hypotheticals of scenario writing. Spaceships are usually first in my mind when I start thinking of minis games, but some historical periods have their appeal as well. World War 1 flying aces and old west gunfighters provide sort of a quasi-rpg experience, much as running a single mechajockey in BattleTech. For a more traditional minis approach (stands full of little infantry guys and whatnot) I have some interest in ancients, but my real area of interest is the Franco-Prussian War. There's at least one good set of rules specific to the period out there, as well as near-hits and general 19th century rules. Pat's idea of recreating the entire Falklands War with Harpoon and Command Decision still appeals to me as well.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:43 AM

    Given that you have tons of D&D minis, do you have any interest in trying the skirmish rules they have for minis?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:50 AM

    Mike and I talk relentlessly on our site about Heroscape-- even though it's largely marketed to boys, we have a great time with it (although we primarily play with our boys). It's great because it's low start up cost-- $40 bucks for the "master" set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something about the rules rub me the wrong way, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Still, I wouldn't be adverse to trying it. Maybe next time you're over we could try to squeeze in a game before the rest of the crew arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops! That last comment was directed towards Doug and D&D minis. I've almost bought the Heroscape master set a couple times now. The figures are great. I've bought a couple expansion packs for use in my D&D campaign. A gaming friend in Bloomington has a ton of the stuff. I need to get him to show me how to play sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:06 AM

    They've made a few alterations to the DDM rules. You no longer have to mess with the tiles. Instead you play on maps and there's a point where you get to choose which one to use. It's worth downloading the new rulebook if you don't want to buy a Wardrums starter pack. However, you might get a Warduke if you buy a starter pack ;)

    I have Heroscape, but haven't played it. I'm willing to get together some day to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:48 PM

    Yeah, the expansion sets are worth it just for the affordable minis. But make sure you have someone who's willing to play. Force it on your group one night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my housemates has Heroscape. If you want to borrow the rules and see if they are workable, I'll see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete