Sunday, July 25, 2004

WraeththuWatch update: LARP and CRPG!

The launch of the Wraeththu RPG now appears on the Dragoncon schedule as a part of a large body of programming centered on Storm Constantine and her works.

It looks like Gabriel Strange (a.k.a. gabby2600) isn't the only person who thinks Wraeththu role-playing is a good idea. A Wraeththu LARP called Seven Deadly Sins is being organized in Germany and a British software company is working on Wraeththu Rising, a hybrid RPG/strategy game.  I am also totally thrown for a loop by the existence of a paintball arena working on a Wraeththu scenario!  They've got a great tagline: The sun is setting on mankind...can you survive the WRAETHTHU?  I figured these Wraeththu paintballers simply had to be Brits, but no.  This outfit can be found right here in my native Illinois!  It's relevations like this that show me just how small my own personal universe is compared to the totality of possible worlds waiting to be experienced. 

Reading the Wraeththu omnibus edition I finally encountered the infamous flower-penis that was the subject of so much confusion and laughter over on RPG.net.  This passage, from early in the first novel, describes Pellaz first realization of the changes in his anatomy following his metamorphosis into a hara, a member of the Wraeththu race:
I looked, and looked, and looked again. There was no damage, no scars. Just this exquisite instrument of magic and pleasure. Not changed too much, just redesigned. An orchid on a feathered, velvet shaft. It is something like that. When I touched it, it opened up like a flower, something moving in the heart of it, but I had seen anough for now.
Also of note is the fact that I am into the third chapter and no swordfights nor even a single sword sighted. There have beens Wraeththu armed with knives, and even mention of guns in passing, but no swords. Admittedly, I'm only 50 pages into a 700+ page book, so maybe their are some swords further in.

No comments:

Post a Comment