Tuesday, July 20, 2004

My wife found a note in the mail from the local library saying that my interlibrary request was in and could be picked up.  Trouble is, the note did not say which request.  That means I could be showing up to pick up either D.B. Pritchard's Encyclopedia of Chess Variants or Storm Constantine's Wraeththu.  As far as I can tell Pritchard's tome is the closest thing to a definitive reference on the subject.  (Other than the Chess Variant Pages, of course.)   I'm mostly interested in an obscure game called Valentine's Chess, but who knows what other chessy wonders lurk within its pages?  Wraeththu is a three-novels-in-one omnibus edition of the books that inspired the (hopefully) forthcoming roleplaying game Wraeththu: From Enchantment to Fufilment.  I'm interested in the Wraeththu rpg and hence its source material for a couple of reasons.  First, its the first RPG I've encountered aimed at the Gay-Lesbian-Bi-Transgendered community.  And second, the setting is just plain weird, featuring posthuman psionic hermaphrodites in a vaguely post-apocalyptic world.  The people creating this game may be naive about how the RPG industry works, but I want to see what sort of game they actually end publishing.  If they end up publishing anything at all.  I still leave some room for the possibility that the whole thing will end up as vaporware, forever existing as some sort of ghostly quantam apparition, bound in the same non-existant limbo as Digest Group's A.I. or TSR's Proton Fire.
 
For a little more on the Wraeththu rpg, check out this post from my old blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment