Tuesday, September 11, 2007

It came from the eBay

Hey, folks! I've still got a few items up for sale on eBay. All though I couldn't resist shilling, right now I really want to talk about a couple of items I'm not selling. Check out this lot:

This is some interesting-looking stuff. The Hollow World book I'm pretty certain came from the original boxed set. I assume the books labeled "Combat", "Battle Bestiary", and "Battle Magic" (in the bottom right corner) come from some boxed edition of Warhammer Fantasy Battles. That font and the style of illos are pretty unmistakeable. I've never seen Ralph Bashki's Wizards, is the game any good?

The three books in the upper left corner are unknown to me, as is Holes. Could Who, What, When, Weyr, and Why be some sort of random chart fest? I love those kind of books. What do you suppose IFGS stands for? International Fantasy Gamer's Society or something like that? Anybody got the skinny on this stuff?

Check out this awesome dice tower:

This sort of die-rolling device has been around since the eighties. The original commercial version was the "Fair Shake Dice Device", reviewed in Dragon in the same issue as the Dragonbone LED dice substitute and the D4 That Rolls, a d8 marked 1 to 4 twice. Based upon the review in Dragon I made my own such thingy in shop class in junior high. But this is the first one I've seen that was actually decorated as a medieval tower. That's totally cool.

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:56 AM

    Jeff, if you are buying more than you are selling, you might not solve your space problem...I speak from experience.
    eBay is no good for my shelf-space...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something I am definitely trying to keep in mind, my friend. But I am moving at least a meter of shelf space and have only bid on a couple of centimeters of new game stuff.

    (You like how I used the metric system there? It's like I'm an international man of mystery or something, and not some farmboy in Illinois.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Metric's the only one that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:53 AM

    Jeff:

    The Weyr book is related to Anne McCaffrey's Dragonrider books. Fort Wjavascript:void(0)
    Publish Your Commenteyr is a location in those books. I didn't know that there was a Dragonrider RPG, but possibly. It's a very old series. It may, of courses NOT be RPG related - merely a book on Fort Weyr.

    -clash

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:55 AM

    "Fort Wjavascript:void(0)
    Publish Your Commenteyr is a location in those books" should read "Fort Weyr is a location in those books."

    Dang no-edit blog! :D

    -clash

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:44 PM

    I DO understand people wanting to keep their gallons, feet and miles per hour they got used to.
    I CANNOT understand the rhyme & reason behind fluid vs. dry ounzes and the like.

    Kudos to the GDW guys making Traveller a sane game. Poo poo on SJG! I WILL NOT construct a starship using hogsheads (wine or ale?!) as a volume measurement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to have a copy of the Bakshi adaptation (and a couple of the lead figures made around the same time; in fact I may still have one of those ...). I traded it away a long time ago, but not because it was bad or anything. I'd give it a tentative thumbs-up ... but your affection for it (and your potential for actually gaming with it) will depend more on how you feel about the source material :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:25 PM

    Wizards is serviceable and in service to its source.
    --Stu

    ReplyDelete
  9. Believe it or not, that last post was not spam! Thanks for stopping by, anonymous dice thingy shill!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:00 PM

    The English system would be much cooler if the slug was used more commonly as a unit of measure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:14 PM

    "The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it." - Abraham SImpson

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous3:07 PM

    IFGS indeed stands for International FAntasy Gaming Society. It is a LARP group. I was a member as a teenager:

    http://www.ifgs.org/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jeff if you still haven't seen Wizards, rent it when you get a chance. Elves, Magic, Hitler, Funky 70's music, Boobs=good times.
    Not kid friendly obviously though.

    ReplyDelete