Saturday, September 22, 2007

check out this treasure map

My little name game poll continues in the upper right corner of the blog. Sinder and Zindar are neck-and-neck but 'Other' is making a surprisingly strong showing. Zinthar and sticking with Cinder have been suggested as viable alternatives, but several people voted other but have not made a suggestion. Please let me know what you're thinking, even if you just say "All these names suck, Jeff. Go back to the drawing-board."

Anyone, on to the sweet treasure map.



My school chum and D&D buddy of old, David Dalley, made this treasure map back in the day. I posted one of David's campaign maps not too long ago. It's probably about 20 years old at this point and has never been actually handed out to a group of players. Here's the text:

Start at cave
of Master Ealrond

Pass the way of
Mud-Slïck Pond

Double League further
thee mïte descover

Thru the pass of
Man & Lover

A wïnding path
which may break thee

The rough-hewn path
ït wïll take thee

To the forest of
Zook

Where ïf thee
Look

In every cranny &
Nook

Thee shall Hook
A precïous [text ends prematurely with a character that may be a capital 'B']

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:58 PM

    "All these names suck, Jeff. Go back to the drawing-board."

    Reason: All four versions sound too close to both Senzar and Synnibar. Also, Ziran.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The similarity to Senzar and Synnibarr was not intentional, but it's not unwelcome. Ziran is another matter though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:47 AM

    Awesome map.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I followed the rules like a good lad and voted for "Zindar" because you specified to use "Other" only if I had an alternate suggestion that hadn't been on the previous list. Going with the lesser of evils, "Zindar" it was.

    For my actual vote (not allowed by the rules), see the original thread commentary :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:26 AM

    Forget naming your campaign world. You should start a contest to decide what the last word of the map poem is!

    Homemade maps are the best player handouts ever. Especially if they have the proper weather beaten look- and maybe a little burnt around the edges, and of course THE MISSING PIECE! You could run your whole campaign off of that map.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For my actual vote ... see the original thread commentary

    Yes, well maybe I should have stuck with Cinder from the get-go. Fancy shmancy spelling does not a good name make and if someone were to mispronounce it rocks would probably not fall from the sky. I probably say Uresia wrong and none the worse for it. ;)

    Forget naming your campaign world. You should start a contest to decide what the last word of the map poem is!

    Dave had a definitive answer in mind when he made the map and I have my own preferred alternatives, but it would fun to see what other people come up with.

    Homemade maps are the best player handouts ever. Especially if they have the proper weather beaten look- and maybe a little burnt around the edges, and of course THE MISSING PIECE! You could run your whole campaign off of that map.

    You can bet your bottom gp that all the places on the map will appear in my new campaign world, whatever I end up calling the damn thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, well maybe I should have stuck with Cinder from the get-go. Fancy shmancy spelling does not a good name make [...]

    As a compromise, you could stick an umlaut over it somewhere, like the umlautted "n" in Spinal Tap.

    I probably say Uresia wrong and none the worse for it. ;)

    Me too! I say it U-REE-see-a, U-REE-zha, "Eurasia," U-REES-ya, etc ... The most I can do is attach each version to a different island and claim I'm doing the local accent.

    And nearly everyone I meet pronounces Risus as "RYE-sus." Always makes me blink, but it never hurt nobody :)

    ReplyDelete