Wednesday, October 05, 2005

More X-box silliness

As Ric Flair once said, you have to beat the Man to be the Man. Well, recently I beat Andy Kaufman in Legends of Wrestling II, allowing me to unlock him. But I still can't play Kaufman, because unlocking him is the first step in a two-step process. The second step is to purchase the priviledge of playing Mr. Kaufman, using coins earned with wrestling victories. Unfortunately I do not have enough coins yet to buy Andy out of virtual imprisonment. So I am going to have to continue playing the game as somebody other than Andy Kaufman, just so I might someday be able to wrestle the exact same matches as Andy Kaufman. I don't know how much more of this nonsense I am willing to put up with.

Doug, one of my D&D players, was kind enough to lend me his copy of Halo, but I haven't got a chance to play it much. And lately I haven't been able to play the wrestling game much either, because my daughter has become an avid spectator of my X-box play. And she is absolutely fascinated with Soul Calibur II. More specifically, she thinks Necrid is the coolest guy ever and insists I always play him. Why she likes this guy is completely baffling me. Just look at him:

Personally, I find the character design hopelessly derivative. He's basically the Hulk with a lightsabre, but with spikes on his body for extra kewlness. I have to choose team mode just to squeeze in a few rounds with other characters. And did I mention that a bunch of characters start the game as unlockables? Even worse, I have to play through some sort of crappy campaign mode to unlock them. Campaign mode for a fight game? Funk dat. I came to fight, not to chase some namby-pamby storyline.

A lot occurred to me the other day. Is there an official Dungeons & Dragons fighting game? Because there ought to be. Just put some Iconics and some featured creatures into game like Soul Calibur and I would play it. Put Mialee and a succubus in the promo screenshots and I bet you'll get a hojillion pre-sales.