Wednesday, October 05, 2005

More X-box silliness

As Ric Flair once said, you have to beat the Man to be the Man. Well, recently I beat Andy Kaufman in Legends of Wrestling II, allowing me to unlock him. But I still can't play Kaufman, because unlocking him is the first step in a two-step process. The second step is to purchase the priviledge of playing Mr. Kaufman, using coins earned with wrestling victories. Unfortunately I do not have enough coins yet to buy Andy out of virtual imprisonment. So I am going to have to continue playing the game as somebody other than Andy Kaufman, just so I might someday be able to wrestle the exact same matches as Andy Kaufman. I don't know how much more of this nonsense I am willing to put up with.

Doug, one of my D&D players, was kind enough to lend me his copy of Halo, but I haven't got a chance to play it much. And lately I haven't been able to play the wrestling game much either, because my daughter has become an avid spectator of my X-box play. And she is absolutely fascinated with Soul Calibur II. More specifically, she thinks Necrid is the coolest guy ever and insists I always play him. Why she likes this guy is completely baffling me. Just look at him:

Personally, I find the character design hopelessly derivative. He's basically the Hulk with a lightsabre, but with spikes on his body for extra kewlness. I have to choose team mode just to squeeze in a few rounds with other characters. And did I mention that a bunch of characters start the game as unlockables? Even worse, I have to play through some sort of crappy campaign mode to unlock them. Campaign mode for a fight game? Funk dat. I came to fight, not to chase some namby-pamby storyline.

A lot occurred to me the other day. Is there an official Dungeons & Dragons fighting game? Because there ought to be. Just put some Iconics and some featured creatures into game like Soul Calibur and I would play it. Put Mialee and a succubus in the promo screenshots and I bet you'll get a hojillion pre-sales.

1 comment:

  1. Did you ever find out about Ravenloft: Iron & Blood? It was an officially-licensed Dungeons & Dragons fighting game, as the name might suggest, and it was also predictably all manner of awful and terrible.

    Still, it was SO bad that it is fun to play if you have some other bad-game-aficionados handy. Or if you want to hear Stellerex's best-theme-song-ever.

    ReplyDelete