Saturday, October 22, 2005

Con Games: The Die Is Cast

On Friday Don, the Winter War chairman, posted this year's event submission form to the Winter War yahoo group. Tonight I turned in my sheet. I've decided to go ahead with Original D&D on Friday night, the Risus superhero game on Saturday afternoon, and Encounter Critical on Sunday morning. I decided against All Flesh Must Eaten because I figured I could take a break from horror, having retired from running Call of Cthulhu following last year's Jack the Ripper scenario.

Rich Sample (an RPGnetter and one of my regular blog readers) requested a "Firefly-esque" game. Normally I like to honor requests. After all it's a compliment just to be asked to run something. But I felt that I was unqualified to run a Firefly game. I have yet to watch the entire series nor have I seen Serenity. If anyone wants me to surrender my geek card just let me know.

I tell you what: I'm really looking forward to running these games. I've never ran any of them before and not many people have played them. Okay, maybe a few people have played D&D at one time or another, but there's lots of gamers out there who have never been exposed to the original rules. And the prospect of making all the PCs just has my mojo up and running.

8 comments:

  1. Hey Jeff,

    Wasn't trying to put any pressure on you for a Firefly game...I think I should have phrased it differently. In the sense that the Firefly aspect wasn't nearly as important as an old-school Traveller fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants, wheelin'-dealin', game was...which, given some of your comments regarding the sci-fi stuff you're looking at, you would have done just fine.

    Regardless, I am going to sign up for the OD&D...should be a blast from the past. Maybe even Risus...


    Later,

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry man. No offense taken.

    I'm a big fan of tramp freighter style Traveller, but I'm not always exactly sure what to do with it. I'm glad the other games have some appeal. Even if you don't sign up we ought to get together. Last year Kathleen (RPGnetter coeli) put together a little RPGnet lunch. I'd like to see that become a regular Winter War event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:30 AM

    We should definitely plan an RPGnetter lunch again. (All my Winter War habits say "McDonald's," and then I shake myself and remember that it won't be at the Chancellor anymore. I'm not sure what the best place near the Hawthorn Suites will be...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm...

    McDonald's works just as well now since you won't even have to cross a street. The Hawthorne Suites are right behind it.

    peace... Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:10 PM

    Color me embarrassed. I was thinking of the wrong hotel...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't sweat it, coeli. I had to ask my wife which hotel the Hawthorne was. I tend to mix it up with the Park Inn on north Cunningham.

    TGIF Fridays and Monical's Pizza are also both right there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The problem with Winter War is that I always run into it when trying to google the Russo-Finn War. Also called Talvisota, or "The Winter War."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Knowing some of the guys involved in the planning of the original convention, it wouldn't surprise me to discover that Winter War was named after that conflict.

    ReplyDelete