Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Wizardly Wednesday Returns!



This piece is called "We are NOT taking the wizard." by artist Matt Rhodes.  Mr. Rhodes writes:

"Sitting around a camp fire, my friends and I talked about wizards. Wizards, if they were real, would be the worst people. Dabbling in all sorts of grim abominations for dubious ends. They'd be the last people you'd ever hire for a quest, and then only in utter desperation."

Big thanks to Evan Elkins for sharing this piece with me and reminding me of the existence of Wizardly Wednesday.  It kind of got away from me for a few weeks.

12 comments:

  1. I like it, the piece and the thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So...

    Is he getting sick into his skull-mug, or telekinetically slurping up the contents?

    (Either way, I agree with the warrior. That wizard is TERRIBLE)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, yep! Rhodes has a blog too. I've got a link on my blog's link bar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to you and Evan.
    MATT RHODES, you are a freakin' genius.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should note that Rhodes' thinking on wizards matches up perfectly to mine. That's why Philip the Bloody is such a maniac. My fighters and thieves tend to be quiet drunks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wizards just get in the way and have a tendency to go over to "the dark side" a little too easily. I'v had to put down a couple of wizards in our groups that got out of hand over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great piece. I love his boots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the way this stuff gets around. Inspires me to add more stuff to mishap tables that isn't so much negative to the Wizard as unpleasant to those around him. I feel like most Wizards will gladly trade pride for power.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Triumphant return!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't remember where I first saw that picture, but I absolutely love it. It'll affect the way I'll be portraying wizard NPCs in my future games, methinks...

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like the way I play Magic-Users... but this guy comes off a lot more civil then my PCs. ;P

    ReplyDelete