Wednesday, June 29, 2011

What is going on here?

As reported previously the totally legitimate journalistic venue that is Jeff's Gameblog will be sending a reporter (i.e. me) to cover Gen Con this year. Today I decided to do a little research on the exhibitors, so I would know where to go to get to the Old School Renaissance Group booth and to see if any other exhibitor might interest me. Here's the map and exhibitor list I found.

You know what is bugging me about that list? More than half of the exhibitors don't have anything listed for a website. These people need to get with the program. If you think you're big time enough to go to Gen Con, get yourself a dang website.  I shouldn't have to hunt down info on your company, for crying out loud.  (And if you sent Gen Con a company URL when you signed up but it's not listed, get them to correct the file.)

PS - If any Gameblog readers are going to Gen Con and maybe want to meet up for lunch that Saturday, let me know.  At this stage I literally have no plans beyond pestering whoever is running the OSR Group booth followed by wandering aimlessly about, mouth agape like a slack-jawed yokel.

Edit: I just remembered one other booth I need to stop at.  Inkwell Ideas.  That guy is awesome.

19 comments:

  1. Cool, I'll be there hanging around the OSR booth and wondering about as well. Unfotunately I won't make it on Thursday as my flight coming in from Italy won't be in unti Thursday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell me you're going to be wearing a fedora with a little card that has "PRESS" hand-written on it in black magic marker.

    Even if you're not really going to do it, please tell me you will anyway.

    And if you do actually wear a "PRESS" fedora, please post pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be there representing Faster Monkey Games, and likewise lurking about the OSR booth, where I'm pleased to say our FMG products will be on sale. Hope to shake your mechanical grasper!

    -- Mr. Joel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jer: Let's just say that I definitely own a marker, an index card and a fedora.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're not going to run a game?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta second the Press hat thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just doing a spot-check on some of the exhibitors that don't have a website listed, it looks more like they actually have websites, but either didn't communicate that fact to GenCon, weren't asked, or GenCon somehow flubbed it.

    I'd guess 90% of those without a website listed on that pdf actually do have a website.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wandering aimlessly about, mouth agape like a slack-jawed yokel. Having done largely this last year, I can confirm it is both fun and profitable.

    Have a great time! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to put a face to the legendary name.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cosplay Deviants? Can you swing by their booth and let them know they're in a box?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll be wandering about as well, probably run a massive dungeon crawl on Thursday and Friday night, not sure where though, open gaming maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to meet up, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. GenCon sent the exhibitor list to exhibitors about a week before it was officially released, and we had most of that week to email back with a website address. They didn't direct us to go to a web form or anything; just a simple email reply. And thanks for the plug!

    --Joe of Inkwell Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll be at Gen Con as well, and the OSR booth seems to becoming a central meeting point. Not sure if I'll be able to meet on Saturday (running two games), but I'd like to shake a couple of hands and meet some folks in person who I only know virtually.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Inkwell Ideas is a definite stop. I need to get my show guide again together this year. I'll be making my PocketMod again, that handy little paper organizer that gets me through the maze of booth numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lunch rally at the OSR booth? I'm down with that. (Nobody ever did sign up for my ZeFRS session, so it's looking like I'll have a free afternoon.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. A meetup is a great idea.

    Mark: I would have loved to play some ZeFRS. I totally missed it on the list. Registration fail on my part. :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous10:18 AM

    I'll be exhibiting with the OSRG booth as part of Autarch, showing off our new Adventurer Conqueror King system. I will endeavor to take a picture of the PRESS fedora, or Photoshop one in later.
    - Tavis

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, Jeff. I'll be at GenCon too...and I also wised up about getting a press badge via my blog. Zach and I have already talked about meeting up, and I hope that you can put in an appearance as well.

    The three of us should do some group-blogging, or something.

    The OSR booth is one of my stops along the way.

    ReplyDelete