Friday, June 17, 2011

nethack? roguelike? help me out here.

Earlier today I was googling for more information on sandestins, a creature type from a couple Jack Vance books.  This led me to a wiki for the computer dungeon-ma-bob NetHack.  While I know my Telenguard from a hole in the ground, I've never tried any of the various "my guy is an ASCII symbol" games.  The ASCII graphics don't do much for me.  A red letter D just isn't a good enough red dragon in my book.  However any graphics at, say, Wizard of Wor or so level crappiness is sufficient for my tastes.

So knowing that I need at least a primitive tile set, am a total newb and would probably be playing on my wife's MacBook, can anyone recommend a specific roguelike?

Wizard of Wor
You are in a dungeon.
There are monsters.
You have a laser rifle.
WHY IS THIS GAME NOT A MULTI-ZILLION DOLLAR FRANCHISE???