Sunday, June 19, 2005

Happy Amazon Day to Me!

I got some birfday swag over the weekend. I have finally reached the point where my family looks at my Amazon wishlist without me prodding them. My sister bought me Star Wars: Droids, the DVD release of some episodes from the 1985 animated adventures of C3PO and R2-D2. I nearly bought myself a copy Wednesday when I was at Toys 'R' Us with Elizabeth, but she poo-poo'ed the idea. My folks got me a book, Paul Naudon's The Secret History of Freemasonry: Its Origins and Connection to the Knights Templar. I don't yet know where this book sits on the spectrum between sober, credible scholarship and outright quackery but part of the charm of the subject matter is the discovering how crazy the author seems to be. The publisher is an outfit called Inner Traditions, so that's a tick in the kook column. The back cover also explains how the author has held the post of Grand Prior of the Gauls of the Rectified Scottish Rite. Most of my Masonic reference books are sitting on the shelves of Western Star Lodge, but my gut instinct tells me good ol' A.E. Waite would not approve of these Rectified fellows. I can almost picture him scowling at their rectifications. But then again I always picture him scowling at pretty much everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment