Saturday, July 24, 2004

Watched a couple episodes of my swank new Superfriends DVD today.  That cartoon always gets me jazzed about supers gaming.  What's interesting about the Challenge of the Superfriends version of the cartoon is that the Legion of Doom have many of the best adventures!  Maybe that's why I sometimes think that supervillainy ought to be gameable.  One idea I've had (maybe the only good idea I've ever had that could serve as the kernel of my own RPG) is to have each player run a hero and a villain.  You could cut back and forth between each superteam, bringing them together for the final conflict.  At that point the special "nemesis" rules kick in, whereby each hero gets combat bonuses against a specific villain and vice versa.  The trick is, you can only select as your nemesis another player's character, so no player should end up with his PCs facing off against each other.  Anyway, it's little more than a germ of a good idea at the moment.

I flipped through a copy of Mutants & Masterminds at the bookstore this evening.  I don't normally like playing in RPGs unless I have my own copy of the rules, so I'm seriously considering picking up a copy.  It would pain me to buy it and then John not run a game after all, as I already own supers games out the friggin' wazoo.  It's like how I end up kicking myself whenever I buy yet another game that features swording orcs.  How many variants on D&D do I need?  And how many games featuring cape ultraguys do I need?  Apparently I need an f-ing lot, 'cause I can't seem to stop buying the damn things.  Still, I haven't been a player in a supers game since I first discovered HeroMachine.  It would be a tragedy to pass up an opportunity to finally get to play a superhero with a decent visual.  Comic-book superheroes is such a visual medium.  I love the fact that I can finally produce my own superheroic character portraits.  Now I just need a game for my heroes!  I'm crossing my fingers that John will come through for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment