Wednesday, July 28, 2004

It occurred to me last night one of the reasons why I have this gut level positive reaction to Savage Worlds, BESM d20, and even Mutants & Masterminds.  They're all roughly the same dimensions and weight as the AD&D hardbacks of old.  I got tons of use out of the 1st edition Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, etc.  I took 'em to school all the time as reading material.  Heck I even managed to totally wear out my original PHB, UA, and DMG through overuse.  So on some instinctual level these new gamebooks just plain feel right, the way an RPG book is supposed to feel.  The match isn't perfect, what with the glossier covers, different grade paper, and (in the case of M&M) full color illos, but these books are the closest I've seen to the tactile sensations of those heady days of my youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment