Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Tonight is another session of Dave's "Avatars" campaign and I am locked, cocked, and ready to rock!  We may be staring down the barrel of a Total Party Kill and I'm excited to see how it turns out.  I love this sort of edge-of-the-seat play.  I'll miss my PC Rondoo should he kick the bucket, but if PCs didn't die now and again I would tend to lose interest.  I need to know that the risks my guy takes are real risks.  I've played in campaigns where the house rule was  such that a PC couldn't die without permission of the player.  That may be fine for player-as-auteur roleplaying environs, but I crave the tension of betting your PC's fate on the roll of a die.  Sure, you lose beloved PCs that way, but a dead PC is a shining testimony to a game in which all the character's accomplishments had substance.  Those moments of triumph were won through overcoming actual dangers, rather than hollow GM threats.


No comments:

Post a Comment