Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Wizards: Please shut up now

Has anyone else seen the article "Reflections on the D&D Magazines"? It's like a punch in the gut to me. Now, I am not an expert on the social niceties, but it is my understanding that one does not normally eulogize one's own murder victims. It is considered impolite. And this?

Yesterday was sad, but it was exciting, too. It’s exciting because I know something that you don’t know as yet. --Bill Slavicsek
Listen, Bill, I know you're trying to spin this thing. I know you're probably stuck carrying water for some corporate guy who made this call. But, as the kids say, STFU KTHX! You're sounding like a world class prick here. You might as well have said "Hey, stupid kids! I know we just killed a beloved childhood institution of yours, but fabulous prizes are just around the corner!" Please stop insulting my intelligence, Bill. I don't have a lot of it, but I place some value on what I've got.

You know what I'm feeling right now? That same glorious sensation that resulted in me giving up on TSR back in the early 90's. Wizards and their shiny new 3rd edition got me out of that funk. It's a damn shame things have turned around so soon.