Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Wizards: Please shut up now

Has anyone else seen the article "Reflections on the D&D Magazines"? It's like a punch in the gut to me. Now, I am not an expert on the social niceties, but it is my understanding that one does not normally eulogize one's own murder victims. It is considered impolite. And this?

Yesterday was sad, but it was exciting, too. It’s exciting because I know something that you don’t know as yet. --Bill Slavicsek
Listen, Bill, I know you're trying to spin this thing. I know you're probably stuck carrying water for some corporate guy who made this call. But, as the kids say, STFU KTHX! You're sounding like a world class prick here. You might as well have said "Hey, stupid kids! I know we just killed a beloved childhood institution of yours, but fabulous prizes are just around the corner!" Please stop insulting my intelligence, Bill. I don't have a lot of it, but I place some value on what I've got.

You know what I'm feeling right now? That same glorious sensation that resulted in me giving up on TSR back in the early 90's. Wizards and their shiny new 3rd edition got me out of that funk. It's a damn shame things have turned around so soon.

5 comments:

  1. All this does is make me wish I had the stuff to do my own Zine.

    I'm starting to get this feeling that WotC is behind the curtain right now trying to put a three-piece suit on a pig and that's even more depressing than a magazine that's had its ups and downs, but at least has a legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:56 PM

    I strongly suspect Paizo will keep right on publishing the same magazines (or something similar) under differernt titles. I mean, such is the nature of d20.

    ReplyDelete
  3. S. John, everything I'm seeing says that Paizo will no longer be producing two glossy magazines. They plan on selling a new monthly called Pathfinder that will be a twenty buck hardback (less on a subscription basis), ad-free, and focused on continuing their straongest product, the Adventure Path series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:10 PM

    Well, something very vaguely similar, then. :) I wish them luck with it, whatever it is. I'm not a consumer of their stuff and except for cashing a check they once sent I've have no dealings with them, but their magazines always looked pretty on the shelf, and it's a shame when pretty things die.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "it's a shame when pretty things die"

    Copy that, the fact that joes like us feel a pang of regret over its passing, regardless of our opinions on the quality at the present, is pretty good proof that this could be a pretty big mistake in the long run.

    ReplyDelete