Thursday, April 19, 2007

Tom Moldvay: Rest In Peace

It is with a heavy heart that I pass on the report of Tom Moldvay's death.
Tom Moldvay recently passed away. I work for his sisters brother-in-law and he brought me his pc to see if there was anything in it that should be saved. There seems to be a ton of partially developed games on it. He said there were boxes and boxes of manuscripts in his apartment where he was found.I know he was a bit of a recluse and I assume all his best friends were through the internet but no one knows his AOL password. We may try to contact AOL and see if there is anything we can do. If anyone knew Tom or anything about his work please get in touch. Any info would be appreciated.I dont know much about the D&D world myself but is obvious he was a big part of many of the books and games. Its obvious this was this life's work I would hate to see it just formatted over or tossed aside.

If so please contact me at [email addy removed because he's getting clobbered with email, I'm still in contact with him]
That's all I know at this time. For those of you new to the blog, I have maintained for years that Mr. Moldvay was one of the great unsung talents of our hobby. Like many gamers around my age, my first RPG was Moldvay's edit of the D&D basic set. Sometime in the 90's he dropped off the map, like so many of the old guard did during the Vampire era. For years I've hoped he would resurface, and there was occasionally talk at Dragonsfoot that someone like Frank Mentzer might be able to get him to be a little more active in public. But looks like that was not meant to be. My condolences to Mr. Moldvay's family in this time of mourning.