Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Van Halen is back! Uh, sorta.

I saw on the TV this morning that Van Halen is attempting another comeback. David Lee Roth is back in the band, with what looked to me like new hair. But even more surprising was the lack of Michael Anthony, the bassist from the very begining of the band. You know, the guy with the beard and the Jack Daniels bass, that always seemed to be having a helluva good time in the videos? Well, he's been replaced by Eddie's sixteen year old son, Wolfgang. Someone remind me when the last time a musical legacy was actually inherited by a superstar's offspring, when a rock god sired another legend. The only example that comes to mind right now is Liza freakin' Minelli. Not that I wish ill on this strange new incarnation of Van Halen. I hope it all works out. But right now I have trouble seeing how Eddie + Dave - Michael + Eddie's Kid equals anything but a trainwreck waiting to happen.