Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Welcome to Nonsequitaria

Blogspot is acting ginchy for me right now, but I wanted to throw out three quick items.
  • Am I the only one who thinks picking Feats is a chore? I'm down to brass tacks on finishing my new PC when all of the sudden it hits me: I got to come up with some friggin' feats. One hand I can take the feats that push my Barbarian towards Frenzied Berserker and on the other hand I could take the feats I actually want, like Combat Reflexes or Improved Unarmed Combat. Either way, I find picking feats to be just as much of a downer chore as picking weapon proficiencies in previous editions. I know some folks gleefully search out the crunchiest feat combos, but that scene just bores me.
  • Fried Pineapple: does it exist? If not, why not? I'm talking about breading some pineapple rings and tossing them in the deep fryer until you have a soft, moist cakelike breading (think funnel cake). I'm off to google to see if I can find any recipes.
  • One reason why a Star Wars rpg never made it as big as D&D is because in a typical D&D campaign your PC takes the role of the local Gandalf or Elrond or whatever. But in the Star Wars games they seem to assume that Han Solo and Luke Skywalker are NPCs in your campaign. That makes the imaginative space too cramped for awesome PC heroics. Sure, there are workarounds of various sorts, but a normal person can quickly intuit that they can't be Han Solo if Han Solo is already in the game. That intuition leads to resentment and resentment leads to the Dark Side, or at least to less success as an RPG line.

4 comments:

  1. Turns out Google is full of fried pineapple recipes. My favorite is probably the first I checked out: dip pineapple rings in [flour+egg], then fry. Simple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:33 AM

    1) That's why I dropped d20 like a greasy fingernail taco. I want to CREATE a character, not MICROMANAGE one.

    2) I'm not surprised you found that. everybody's fryin' everything these days. Soup? Not yet, but someone'll figure it out, mark my words.

    3) I always kept the signature NPCs so far away from the PCs that it never mattered who was more badass. Sure, they knew that Han Solo was in their back yard, but...it was a BIG back yard, and there was plenty of room to be awesome. None of my players ever wanted to be him, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) Picking Feats is always my Favourite part of character creation. Especially for Fighters. All the feats you can add to your character in the end can make the most basic class of fighter into whatever you want him to be.

    2) I always wanted to deep-fry a Big-Mac. I think such a creation would be considered a WMD because of the cholesterol content, however.

    3) Its a large universe, there are plenty of adventures out there for anybody. Just like in Star Trek. The Enterprise was just one ship out of thousands that could be having adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "2) I always wanted to deep-fry a Big-Mac. I think such a creation would be considered a WMD because of the cholesterol content, however."

    I'm reminded of the episode of SpongeBob where a customer at the Krusty Krab orders a Triple Krabby Supreme, Double Batter Fried, on a Stick. I thought that was an awesome idea.

    ReplyDelete