- Elves need 4000xp to reach 2nd level. Sure, you rule the school at 1st level, but you still reign over first level when half the party is rocking out at third.
- Clerics don't get a spell at 1st level. I don't even like clerics and I think that's harsh.
- Thieves only get d4 hit points. Poor bastards.
- Fighters get only d8 for hit dice, no d10s like in AD&D and no d12 barbarians running around either.
- No weapon specialization.
- Two-handed weapons make you lose initiative, so most fighters only do d8 damage at best.
So DMs, before you agree that 1st level magic-users suck, ask yourself whether the 1st level versions of the other classes in your campaign suck hard enough. How easy do you really want first level to be? (That's not a rhetorical question.)