Monday, December 15, 2008

quoting Gygax

Read how and why the system is as it is, follow the parameters, and then cut portions as needed to maintain excitement. [emphasis mine] For example, the rules call for wandering monsters, but these can be not only irritating -- if not deadly -- but the appearance of such can actually spoil a game by interfering with an orderly expedition.

...

Know the game systems, and you will know how and when to take upon yourself the ultimate power. To become the final arbiter, rather than interpreter of the rules, can be a difficult and demanding task, and it cannot be undertaken lightly, for your players expect to play this game, not one you made up on the spot. By the same token, they are playing the game the way you, their DM, imagines and creates it.

...

As the DM, you have to prove in every game that you are still the best. This book is dedicated to helping to assure that you are.

All the above come from the introduction to the 1st edition Dungeon Masters Guide. In my original copy (I'm on my second copy, having worn out the first one) that last passage is outlined in pencil. I did that back around 1983 or so.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:11 PM

    It's funny I've been re-reading that text off and on lately. I've own my copy for I don't know how long. I don't always agree with what Gygax had to say, but it always gives me something ponder about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New subscriber, but I like what I see.

    There are so many DMs out there that are really out to fuck over their characters, when they should realize that the game is about making a really great story. Some players will die, some will triumph, but it will be interesting if everyone's on that same wavelength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:38 PM

    @saintstubert:
    *rolleyes*

    ReplyDelete
  4. What, you don't think there are Asshat GMs out there who take some kind of delight in making players' lives miserable?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Know the game systems, and you will know how and when to take upon yourself the ultimate power.

    I didn't know Gygax was a ninja!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jeff

    Been reading your blog and others from your Blog-roll for a while now. I just wanted to say hi. Just started up my own blog here on the old blogspot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking at thise quote carefully, it seems that Gygax approves either using or ignoring rules. However, looking it some of those articles from earlier issues of 'Dragon' it seems to come with the caveat 'do not alter'. So ignore, but don't change! :)

    ReplyDelete