Monday, October 09, 2006

the journal

In a comment to the previous post the good Dr. Rotwang asked about the physical book itself that I am using for my new campaign journal. I found it in the blank books section of my local Borders and it is produced by a British stationery company called Paperchase. It measures 6 inches by 8 inches, with 300 pages making the book approximately an inch and a quarter thick. The grid is 6 squares to an inch, which is smaller than I like. But since the paper is small than usual I think it will do. The exterior is a softbound faux leather. It weighs enough to have a sense of heft to it, but doesn't seem an undue burden. I'm pretty sure this journal and the two '81 rulesbooks are still lighter than the 3.5 corebooks.

Here's what it looks like, sitting on the computer desk in front of me, with the rulebooks present for scale (and because they're awesome):

That's my daughter's Hello Kitty game, I swear!
And here's a close-up of part of my second entry:

Watch out for the stone giants.
As a starting point for a map I'm using a close-up of Brythunia as it appears on this map, which I believe is from the old Hyborian Wars play-by-mail game. But my campaign isn't going to be a Hyborian setting in any purist sense. All I'm attempting here is a kitchen sink D&D setting with a different Howard to Tolkien ratio.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Jeff...

    Not that I'm going to be involved in the game, but I do have a question about it. Why the Basic and Expert books and not the comprehensive Rules Cyclopedia?

    Also, have you taken a look at Iron Gauntlets yet? I just picked it up the other day. It looks good and I like it, but I can't quite bring myself to run it yet. That being said, it has seriously got the old school flavor that I know you dig.

    peace... Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:53 PM

    We need more images on the Internet that incorporate both Rugrats and Erol Otus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a nice journal, me hardie. Borders, eh...?

    Oh, and The Red-Haired Maniac is right about Iron Gauntlets. It's absolutely wondermous.

    S. JOHN -- I"ll get right on that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:41 AM

    You're my hero, Rotwang, but be sure and not to incorporate any material from "Rugrats Go Wild," because ... well, too much late-night cable TV advertising makes that a very disturbing title for a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have yet to check out Iron Gauntlets but if you cool people dig it, then I need to look into ASAP.

    Regarding Rugrats Go Wild: I get the same heeby-jeebies from the title. Especially since seeing some Rugrats hentai that was posted at SomethingAwful.com. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:04 AM

    I'll back up the comments on Iron Gauntlets. It's a D&D variant designed for hack. Look for the expanded pdf, it's a better "starter set". I'm waiting for the RuneLore book before I ask to try a game test of it.

    ReplyDelete