Wednesday, October 11, 2006

5 links about gaming blogs

You might have seen me link to these before, but I wanted to throw out some commentary.

Best New Blog: I Waste The Buddha With My Crossbow (yes, I'm going to pimp this blog again)- Highest signal-to-noise ratio of any blog I've ever seen, even including the recent Erol Otus/Rugrats post.

Best Blog Not Enough People Are Reading: Neitherworld Stories - Stuart, the author, is an interesting cat. On one hand, he's one of those World of Darkness guys. On the other hand, his insights into d20 are some of the smartest I've seen. I'm serious as cancer when I say that (despite his short credits list) he would make a good pick for a D&D 4th edition design team.

Best Two Blogs I Don't Read Regularly Because the Authors Are So Smart I Don't Always Understand Them: Eliot Wilen and JH Kim's livejournals. Damn, these brainiacs make me feel like a caveman sometimes. But that's okay. Cavemen are cool. They get these neat clubs and hang out in caves and stuff.

Best Guy I Know Who Should Be Blogging: Don McKinney. I've known Don for like 15 years now. Not only is he my personal Traveller guru, he's got a masterful grasp of like a zillion other games. Don's always got several cool projects in the works. I wish the gamers on the net could hear about them. Join the Legion of Bloggers, Don! One of us! One of us!

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:43 AM

    Thanks for the vote of confidence.

    It is odd - I don't really consider myself "one of those World of Darkness guys," though I guess LARPing brought me back into gaming. I mean, I started off with the typical stuff in the early eighties, and played mostly Champions in the early 90s. I think this insulated me from a lot of the Storyteller GMing advice, which I always tended to more-or-less ignore.

    That said, I don't have a particular aversion to any of White Wolf's games (except for Vampire), and have recently enjoyed playing Adventure!, Exalted, Wraith, and Mage...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't mean to put you in a box there, Stuart. What I was trying to say is that you've got this great breadth of gaming experience. I wasn't trying to imply that you show up to our D&D game in facepaint and cape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Domo Origami, Mister Salami.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:27 PM

    Everytime I think about blogging, I think about everything else I should be doing, and is what I have to say interesting to anyone but me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:03 PM

    In the interest of full disclosure, I think I have an old pair of custom-fitted fake fangs somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don, I can't help you with the first concern. If you don't have time to blog, then don't do it. But as for the second, let me assure you that you have plenty to say that I think a lot of people would find interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shit! I just realized I spelled Elliot's name wrong in the body of my post. Sorry, man!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No problem Jeff, it's only something that I've been dealing with since childhood...(along with people mispronouncing my last name...hint, rhymes with "chillin'")...So by now it doesn't really hurt...it's all scar tissue, see :)

    And thanks very much for the mention and compliment! Your check is in the mail. Or do you prefer to be paid in pelts and firesticks?

    For me, blogging is a way to say stuff without worrying whether it violates some code, a way to think out loud and dare to be dumb, and a way to basically grandstand and control the topic. As I wrote recently, forum discussions have a way of getting driven off-track by the dumbest thing any individual poster says. In my LJ, I can bring up some little point that really matters to me without being concerned that I might be threadjacking, or that my point is going to be lost in a sea of peripheral comments. Oh, it might be lost in a desert of nobody paying attention, but that's okay.

    ReplyDelete