Tuesday, February 08, 2005

The War Is Over: Cat Piss Man Wins

Winter War 32 is nothing more than a collection of fond memories. I'm hoping to get a full report on it up later this week. There are a few items I want to report on in this venue though. First, Don McKinney made an earnest attempt to talk me out of getting the Castles & Crusades Players Handbook. He was part of the playtest and in general I highly respect Don's opinions, so I am going to run a session or two of the boxed set before moving any further towards C&C. Second, I am done running Call of Cthulhu. My Jack the Ripper game was a bit of a mess, but I've got the bug to run a Ripper game out of my system. And the Cthulhu Mythos seems played out to me. Maybe I'll revisit it someday, but in this era of Cthulhu plushies the Mythos is little more than an one-note joke.

So it looks like I've now got two campaigns. Don, Sue, Paul & John want to get my Home Team game up and running again, so I need to finish converting their characters over to Mutants & Masterminds. Our first session back in the saddle will probably be a small potatoes run with a handful of minor supervillains, but then I want to get into some big heroic adventures: Saving New York from destruction. Rescuing the President of the United States. (Are they bad enough dudes?) Thwarting alien invasions. That kind of stuff. The other campaign I am going to be running is that d20 Modern kid's game I have mentioned before. Ian and Alex have obtained parental permission and proposed a schedule of every other Saturday afternoon. With these two longer term projects on the table anything else I run in the meantime will have to be one-shots or micro-campaigns using quick-and-dirty types rules.

At Bruce's place I won last night's game of Puerto Rico. That was really satisfying. It's one of the more complex German games that we play, a "gamer's game" as Jim likes to call it. I've got to pat myself on the back for this one. I made some good sound plays. I made several goofs as wells, but I took the lead early and just barely held on to it throughout the game.

3 comments:

  1. So, what happened with CoC? I was looking forward to playing that and the Savage Worlds events but both were full when I arrived Fri. afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not the only person to tell me they couldn't get in to that game. The PCs has some trouble getting their acts together as a party, despite/due to the fact that three of the players were brothers. Eventually, the Ripper's home address was deduced by tracing the rather strange paper the "From Hell" letter (http://www.casebook.org/images/lusk_big.jpg) was written on. I thought following up on the watermark on the paper was a nice Sherlock Holmesian touch. They managed to kill one Jack the Ripper outright and stopped his diabolical partner just before he finished transforming into an avatar of Nyarlahotep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad the brothers made it in. I still have fond memories of the
    time I destroyed the instructions on getting de-poisoned, and then went
    insane and started zombie wrestling (on fire) before I could take advantage.

    Good Times.

    ReplyDelete