Monday, December 19, 2011

thinking about magic again


Dig this diagram.  I've switch from MS Paint to Google Docs for my inept chart needs. I like the results.

Anyway, in my experience maybe 90% of PC magic-users stay in the center blue area.  There's a couple possible reasons for this.  One is that most versions of the game require serious gold and/or XP requirements to get into the green region.  If you need to be an MU11 to make items, then most MU will never do it. Another is that some players are more casual than others.  Some dudes just want to throw fireballs, no big whoop.

Another reason many MUs never engage the spell research and magic item creation rules is that they don't realize that they have these powers.  The chargen handout for my World of Cinder campaign specifically noted spell research as a class ability for magic-users and elves, but I'm not sure anyone ever actually wrote it down on their character sheet.  "I can cast sleep right now" tends to overshadow "with a few weeks and a couple thousand gp (that I don't have), I can make up a new spell".

Then there's that outer area.  I think many players don't realize that this region even exists.  Maybe it doesn't in some campaigns.  Whether the DM acknowledges it or not, the "Anything goes" region is in play if there's ever some evil jerkwad trying to conquer the world with one of those big apocalyptic not-on-the-spell-list rituals. In the Caves of Myrddin, at least two players have gotten some work done in this area.  A certain elf knows how to create a magical safe room, where no evil creature can set foot. And one of the magic-users is on the verge of being able to contact a demon. I can't wait to see how that turns out.

12 comments:

  1. And one of the magic-users is on the verge of being able to contact a demon.

    I wonder who that could be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "And one of the magic-users is on the verge of being able to contact a demon. I can't wait to see how that turns out."

    Oh, do keep us posted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exploring that "anything goes" area can be great fun, but delving too far in that direction can divide the game into a haves and have-nots where non-MUs feel left out.

    If your players are ok with making that stuff a focus of the game, and are comfortable with more player agency and creativity, a game like White Wolf's "Mage" or "Ars Magica" or some of the more free-form indie games can provide a real eye-opening experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, demon contact! Please do say more when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It never fails. I attempt to explore the limits of the D&D magic system, someone tries to sell me another game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *shrug* The limits of the D&D system are the heart of those other games - seemed like a logical segue to me..

    The guts of the Mage system could be grafted on to D&D as a more academic style of ritual casting if you were looking for a little structure. Steal what works (even if it's just inspiration) and ignore what doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if Father Wendron knows about said MU's ability...

    ReplyDelete
  8. My players are constantly crafting magic items and researching new spells. I love it, because it gives me all sorts of plot hooks and adventure ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I envy you Bill the DM, that is something I have always wished that my players would engage in but they never do. Even with generous Holmes-style scroll creation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @gdbackus

    What's generous about Holmes scroll creation? I suppose I could go look it up, but it you know off the top of your head...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous11:25 PM

    I bet the demon is super-excited about this too. Just thoroughly pumped is what I'd guess.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Matthew

    The third circle is not just some house rule that Jeff thinks might be cool. It shows up in the Expert Rules (page X52):

    A spell caster may want to use magic in a way not covered by spells or production: cleansing a defiled temple, opening a gate to another world, setting magical traps, and so on. The DM may let the spell caster research the steps necessary to do this by assigning time and cost requirements as for magic item production. The rituals may require rare substances or the casting of certain spells, and may have to be renewed periodically.

    ReplyDelete