Saturday, September 10, 2011

mysterious solved

Thanks to the Lost Minis Wiki I have solved a personal mystery that has baffled me for more than 25 years.  Circa 1983 was a different time for D&D.  On one hand, the Game we love was under attack for being Satanic.  On the other hand, you could find D&D stuff for sale in the Sears Christmas catalog.  One year some boxes of miniatures were among the wares stocked by Sears.  I fell in absolute love with this one figure in a tiny photo, a painted pic of a dude riding a giant spider and carrying a shield with a spider web device.  That dude was super bad.  How tough to you have to be to tame a friggin' giant spider and ride it around like a pony???

I've been looking for that spider riding badass one and off ever since.  Now I know why I've never found him.  Dude wasn't riding a spider, he was the spider!


I don't know why it never occurred to me that this elusive figure was a drider.  Maybe I just wanted it to be a cool dude riding a spider a little too badly.  Or maybe I'm just a dope.  Either way that shield is still awesome times five.

(Figure from the original Grenadier AD&D line.)

9 comments:

  1. Should be easy to kitbash a pair of legs onto him ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:06 AM

    +1

    exactly what I thought... and small eyes and fangs for the spider.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah that was a Grenadier figure. In the right hand, it also had a hand crossbow; you can see in the photo where the piece with the hand was supposed to be attached to the torso piece of the figure. I had a couple of these back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:52 AM

    Reminds me of Skulk from the Sectaurs toy line, Jeff.

    http://tinyurl.com/429pbvp

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ rorschachhamster

    Or for extra awesome, some other kind of head, like a wolf or a lion or something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Legion12:29 PM

    I had these two in the '80s:

    http://www.dndlead.com/Grenadier/ADandD/106.jpg

    They looked great in the free-for-all Knights & Magick games we played across my basement floor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. FWIW: I still HAVE two of these. They were my favorites back in the day, and still some of my "prides and joys" -- even though they were painted with Testor's Enamels, and the spider bodies are an atrocious metallic gold color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one came in the AD&D Action Art Monster Selection box. It was available in the '81 JC Penney's Xmas catalog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The hairy legs must have thrown you. Driders are usually depicted as being part black widow or something, not part tarantula.

    ReplyDelete