Thursday, May 22, 2008

Quote of the Day

This guy knows how to sell a setting:
Obscene riotous fungal forests choke the valleys and glens; twisted boneless blasphemies dance around impact craters, slurping their nourishment from lakes of slime. Zeppelins drift and flying saucers hurtle through the vapor-filled skies between crystal-domed cities and reeking jungles; savage barbarian shamans guard their herds of creeping terrestrial starfish from cannibal mutant psychics and astro-zombies in the moss-covered beds of evaporated seas; deviant necromancers in their spiraling towers of basalt engage in congress with ambulatory plants from Beyond.
-Scott (a.k.a. driver) describing his new Risus campaign over on an odd74 Arduin thread.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:44 AM

    I think my geekmeter just exploded with lust.

    And this is the first time I've ever written that particular sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:07 AM

    That almost sounds like a Clark Ashton Smith poem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty effed up. How's he play that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the only gaming blog I read regularly, and I didn't realize until sitting here at 1:40 a.m. reading your archives that you had quoted me here. I value your opinion and am sincerely honored.

    "That's pretty effed up. How's he play that?"

    I don't at the moment. It's sitting in a notebook in the form of scribbles. It started turning into a greater conceptual nightmare than it was intended to be ... it couldn't decide if it wanted to be Zothique, sword-and-planet, or Encounter Critical, so I put it to the side and will probably revisit it at some point. It's actually in my usual wheelhouse but it's just too conflicted to mess with right now.

    I stole one of my friend's drawings and mocked up a quick cover, though if I actually ran a campaign I'd smooth it out a bit:
    http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m144/lazaruspitt/RisusCover.jpg

    In the meantime, I'm setting up to run an OD&D Wilderlands campaign with the classic Judges Guild material. Please feel free to have a look:
    http://odd74.proboards76.com/index.cgi?board=tradingpost&action=display&thread=1107

    In any case, thanks again for the compliments. And I am an absolutely huge CAS/Zothique fan.

    ReplyDelete