Wednesday, February 13, 2008

my morning punch in the gut

Steve Gerber passed away this week. Gerber wrote some of the greatest comics of the seventies (Howard the Duck and The Defenders among others) and had his hand in some of the best cartoons of the eighties (including the greatest cartoon of all time, Thundarr the Barbarian). Gerber was able to produce deeply thoughtful works full of human insight that also included all the awesome of superguys in crazy costumes punching the crap out of each other. He was one of the men responsible for opening the door to modern comic writers like Warren Ellis and Grant Morrison. Gerber is one of three writers in comics whose work I will buy without flipping through the mag. If he has the script credit, I know I'll enjoy that comic.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:55 AM

    Ouch; this is the first I'd heard of this :(

    Gerber's one of my big childhood heroes. >sigh<

    -Sjohn

    ReplyDelete