Thursday, November 08, 2007

Times, they are a-changin'

Howdy folks! The last two years of regular GMing has finally worn me out. I've been trying to come up with a new Star Wars adventure and the cistern is dry. I've started three separate adventures that I've been unable to finish to a sufficient degree where I would have anything to run. But it's not just the Star Wars. Running one decent and a couple abortive campaigns plus organizing the Run Club plus Worldwide Adventure Writing Month have just drained the batteries. So I'm going to take a little bit of a break from wearing the viking hat.


The players in my group have been supercool about this decision. I'm hoping someone else will GM for a while, but maybe we'll do some boardgaming or something instead for a while. Either way, right now I don't have any plans to GM anything prior to the Winter War convention in February, where I'll be running some Encounter Critical and OD&D.


And the ol' Gameblog is gonna be a little less active for a while. My place of employment is merging with its number one local competitor this weekend and the job looks to blow up big and stupid starting next week. I foresee at least a short period where I just don't have much time for blogging. I've got a couple half-written entries that I will be rolling out hopefully soon, but look for less weekday entires and maybe more weekend blogging.


This isn't a goodbye post. I'm not signing off. But I wanted to let everyone know what was going on. That way if a week or so went by without a blog update no one would be wondering if I was dead or something. Everybody stay awesome during any absences, okay?

5 comments:

  1. Yikes - I hope the job stuff settles down soon. And I'm a big fan of just taking a break when GM burnout starts to take hold. May it refresh your batteries and start the ideas flowing again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how are gonna use for inspiration now??!!??
    Seriously, take a break, regenerate those stressed GM tendancies and just enjoy playing for a while... good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:57 AM

    Take a break, Jeff! It's the best thing you can do. We'll be here waiting for you when you come roaring back, full of ideas and enthusiasm!

    -clash

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the break, but keep feelin' for that itch to return :)

    My GMing:Playing ratio (ideal) is right around 4:1 ... if my gaming ever gets me in a situation where I'm GMing more than 4 sessions to every session I play, it begins to wear on me a little because I needs me some player-time (plus, I think player-time is necessary to great GMing, for perspective reasons). I've never actually hit full burnout (because when I get close I scramble desperately and insert myself in the nearest play-group like some kind of alien parasite that does funny voices) but I definitely understand that it can happen.

    Rest your brain, but keep feeding it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gah! The new logo on your building is awful. Who came up with that?

    ReplyDelete