Tuesday, November 06, 2007

my internets still suck but have a recipe

I normally like my movies to have some combination of spaceships, swords, and/or explosions, but I will confess to absolutely adoring Steel Magnolias. It’s a total chick flick but for some reason I love it. I even get teary-eyed during the more schmaltzy scenes. Anyway, here’s the recipe I promised in the post title. At one point in the film Dolly Parton gives the recipe for one of the easiest homemade deserts ever, a little dish called Cuppa-Cuppa-Cuppa:

a cup of sugar
a cup of flour
a cup of fruit cocktail

mix it up, pour it in a baking pan, and bake 'til brown


I’ve tried it a couple times and it totally works. I wish I could give you more precise baking instructions, but I usually set the oven to 350 degrees (my default temp when I have to guess) and just watch carefully. Dolly’s character recommends a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of each piece, but I use Cool Whip or that spray whip cream stuff.

Many years ago I made Cuppa-Cuppa-Cuppa for a potluck at the lodge and all the little old ladies were amazed by the fact that a man was able to cook anything more complicated than Boiled Water.

2 comments:

  1. I like any movie with Olympia Dukakis in it, so that means I love a few chick-flicks on those grounds alone (Moonstruck is another great Olympia Dukakis film).

    Steel Magnolias is a quality chick-flick, but in addition to Dukakis I'm a sucker for anything kitchen sink (I tend to categorize all chick-flicks as either Illness/Death Oriented, Mother-Daughter Oriented, or BFF Oriented, and Steel Magnolias manages to squeeze in all three).

    (This does mean that I categorize Romances and Romantic Comedies as Romances and Romantic Comedies, not as categories of chick-flick; I realize this is controversial) :)

    Of course, I love anything sappy, as long as Bette Midler isn't in it. I draw the line at Bette Midler doing serious films; I'm cool with her in comedies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Moonstruck, too, now that you mention it.

    ReplyDelete