Friday, November 02, 2007

five more links

The First Dungeon Adventure - The original Arneson crawl as remembered by the Great Svenny.

LOLthulhu - I probably should have posted this one on or before Halloween, but the stars weren't quite right.

Bacon Double - This one goes out to the folks on the bacon thread at theRPGsite.

The Unifon Alphabet - A phonetic alphabet for English is one of those things that seems like a good idea on paper. But the fonts could be used for handouts in a sci-fi game.

'The Last Question' - If I had to pick a favorite Asimov short story it would be this or 'Nightfall'.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:28 AM

    That first dungeon adventure is priceless! Great read. Thanks for posting the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks for the Unifon alphabet. I can't believed I've lived this long without knowing about Noah's Ork, and I trust that as Unifon grows, we will soon learn about Noah's Hobgoblin as well (and of course, we will learn to respect low-hitdie monsters through the terrible anecdotes of Noah's Kobolds).

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first I read that as Baron Double...

    Thanks for reminding me of Unifon. I was familiar with the older one from Science magazine, but hadn't heard it was updated. Fun fact: Adam Warren used Unifon for signs in his Dirty Pair comics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Warren's "Dirty Pair" was where I first saw and became enamored of Unifon. Now, whenever I run a science fiction game, I'm always tempted to use Unifon as the written alphabet.

    It's a little bit like my obsession with Esperanto, ever since reading Harry Harrison...

    ReplyDelete
  5. S. John has the right of it regarding Unifon. Spelling reform in English is always doomed to failure, because different groups pronounce different words differently. Unifon was obviously put together by someone convinced his own non-standard dialect was the only right and proper way of doing things. Really, if you wanted to have symbolic representation of every sound used in every English dialect, you'd probably need something like 60 symbols or more.

    But then, there's this one language from the Caucasus I've heard of where R is a vowel.

    ReplyDelete