Thursday, June 29, 2006

A Traveller5 Item

Traveller 5th edition is still a year away, so this might not end up in the published version, but it's still a pretty interesting development. T5 as planned will have two methods of constructing spaceships. One will be the old tried-and-true crunchy method, some sort of offshoot of Book 2 or High Guard or (Dear Lord help us) Fire, Fusion, & Steel. I don't really have any information on that part. The second method is the interesting item: design-by-typing. The plan is to have an official deckplan font, with all spaceship components available. You type up the font to draw the design you want and then total the components to find the ship's stats. I'd probably use the first method if it resembles the old Book 2 rules, but damn do I look forward to being able to make my own deckplans with that font!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:56 PM

    Hey, I liked Fire, Fusion, and Steel! But yeah, it was a bit much at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if you have touched on this or not, but I think of all the systems out there, Traveller would be the best suited for a Firefly / Serenity campaign. there are so many things technologically that the two universes have in common. I was watching Serenity the other day and was thinking to myself-"Self this is just like the old traveller games we used to play in highschool."

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, you're not the first person to say that to me. My friends Kathleen and Josh lent me their copy of the Firefly boxed set and it didn't really engage me. I'm not sure exactly what the problem was. All the elements are there for me to like it. Heck, the only vaguely legal tramp frieghter operated by misfits with hearts of gold is my favorite mode of Traveller play. Yet Firefly just did not get me all whipped into a geeky frenzy like I've seen it affect others.

    ReplyDelete