Thursday, June 22, 2006

Man on fire

Doug, one of the cool players in my Wild Times D&D campaign, is really on a roll. First, in the comments to my new campaign proposal, he suggested tying the three subcampaigns together by making the three PC groups 'eternal champion' style lateral incarnations of each other. That's too cool. Now he's got a nifty idea for curing the Epic Rules Blues I've discussed in this earlier post. Doug suggests dropping the epic rules from Wizards and instead taking a page from Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved: stretch the campaign by adding standard progressions for levels 21 through 25. This would be a snap for some classes, like the fighter and sorcerer. Others, such as the monk, would need shiny new special abilities. I don't really need all the core classes statted out for this to work, just the ones that my players plan to take past 20th. Heck, with all the multiclassing shenanigans they pull, maybe no one will end up with 21 levels in any single class.

With four post-20th gestalt PCs, I bet we could still play Quicksilver Hourglass, the 30th level adventure published in Dungeon last year. That's been my big honkin' goal for this campaign for a long time.

9 comments:

  1. I commented below, but it makes sense to say it here - with respect to our characters, if we just ignore the epic level progressions and just multiclass past level 20, we should be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, coming up with new high-level special abilities is probably overthinking the problem.

    What do you think about allowing epic feats?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Epic feats are probably fine as long as they are only gained at lvl 21, 24, 27, etc. You shouldn't be able to use your fighter bonus feats to get an epic level feat every other level.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...on the other hand, the Epic Dragon Disciple Progression looks like fun.

    (sorry)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dunno. Those first two levels of "congratulations, you're epic but you get no class abilities" looks like a downer to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's true. Mostly I was trying to be funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:09 PM

    They do have a list of epic level fighter feats, so the fighter isn't picking off the general list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I realize that there is a specific list, but if you are only an 8th level fighter, I see no reason why you ought to get epic feats for your fighter bonus feats.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "That's true. Mostly I was trying to be funny."

    Yeah, yeah. I got that. But my serious point remains, for all this talk about Epic-osity, most of the Epic progressions in the book seem to be less cool than the nifty powers you get around levels 18-20.

    "I realize that there is a specific list, but if you are only an 8th level fighter, I see no reason why you ought to get epic feats for your fighter bonus feats."

    I kinda agree. Character level is a separate entity from class level.

    ReplyDelete