Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Europe Remains Un-Nuked

Last night the boardgame group played El Grande, but without the expansions. Maybe next week we can try one of the two expansions. Or maybe we'll play something else. I dunno. Jim has certainly been campaigning for playing the expanded game and I'd love to try it. We probably could have played a quick round of Nuke the Crap Out of Europe or at least the Bean Game, but Carl and Bruce seemed hellbent on spending a bunch of time looking up rules and arguing over the interpretation of them. That's not how this bunch usually plays, but as far as I can tell no game group is immune to these sorts of shenanigans. Still, I had a good time. Totally came in lastest place, but I had a good time getting there.

So now I have to get my act together for tomorrow night's Mob War game. I'm going to try a different structural approach this week and I hope the players will go along with it. My plan is to force the group to break up into smaller components by playing out three little vignettes as short of a cinematic montage. This could be a big trust issue for some of the players, but hopefully they'll play ball. The fact that these guys are playing a historical game at all tells me that they are open to some new stuff. In my experience Joe Average Gamer doesn't have much interest in historical gaming. Pseudo-historical stuff with kewl powerz is A-OK, but straight-on historical doesn't zing. And it's an attitude I share somewhat. I like kung-fu and robots as much as the next guy.

My eBay-purchased issue of Vortext magazine has made its way from Canadia to my desk. I bought this rag specifically for "Biostarr 1", which to my knowledge is the only World of Synnibarr adventure to have seen print. I haven't had a chance to give it a proper read-through, but it looks like a mini-dungeon set on an asteroid. I had been hoping to run this adventure at Winter War, but it doesn't look like a good match to my needs. It's designed for seven total levels in the PC party, which means if I want to keep the PCs at first level I would need seven players. I don't necessarily want that many players and I certainly can't guarantee that many will sign up. (And remember, as per the WoS rulebook, I am obligated to run the adventure exactly as written!) Furthermore, I don't see any of the good stuff that I want in my WoS experience: no laser grizzlies, no mutant fire clams, no cyberninjas, etc. On the surface at least, "Biostarr 1" looks straightforward enough that you could adapt it to Star Frontiers or Traveller.

No comments:

Post a Comment