Friday, January 01, 2010

an announcement

By the power invested in me by no one in particular I am declaring anno two thousand and ten to be

The International Encounter Critical Year

I'm not dropping my current Labyrinth Lord/Mutant Future mash-up campaign and the ol' Gameblog will continue to feature posts about other games, but I've made plans to shoot for the moon with Encounter Critical. The biggest gaming goal I have for 2010 is to finally start an ongoing EC campaign. I also hope to reignite some old projects, particularly the fanmade EC Sparks set, the Lexicon of Vanth wiki, and Phasic, my EC micro-fanzine. If you're an EC fan and not registered with the official mailing list, please hop on board to join the fun, as a lot of these schemes will hatch there.

Another big piece of my Encounter Critical year is to be a new booklet. Tentatively titled The Journey Master's Oracle, the basic idea is a manual of crazy random die charts similar to the Miscellaneum of Cinder but with a little more structure: a JM should be able to sit down at the table stone cold and whip up an Encounter Critical adventure on the fly by reading the book and rolling some dice. This baby'll be a free PDF download with a very small homemade print run. I don't plan on making any money on this one, but I'll probably ask people wanting the print version to cover postage.

The first big event of the Encounter Critical 2010 project will be a contest in which any and all Gameblog readers can participate! First (and only) prize will be Jeff's Crazy Gaming Grab-Bag, a mysterious box full of stuff from my game collection, some of which you may even like. Details tomorrow.

17 comments:

  1. Knock 'em out the box, Jeff. I look forward to a 2010 full of EC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I await with breath abated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huzzah! I am willing to contribute suspiciously amateurish art should you so require.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:29 AM

    Woohoo ! Go fot it Jeff !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with Encounter Critcal

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will be a great 2010, Jeff! I can't wait!

    Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! I'm stoked!
    I am working on 2 things (though pretty haphazardly at the moment), an alternate race chart for EC and a Wacky Races/Death Race 2000/Sesame Street: Big Bird Follow That Bird style race adventure/supplement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sign me up Jeff! I'm curious to hear how EC works in Campaign mode.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I feel like your comment on my blog not long ago was a kind of hint of things to come. Like a movie studio leaking a project on some fan site.

    I can't wait to hear what you do with this. I'm especially excited about a possible EC booklet. Fun!

    I think you just inspired me to work on a little dream project of my own...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! Also willing to provide art donations to the project!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:45 AM

    AWESOME.

    Jeff, the link to the official mailing list isn't working for me. I want in! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Link should be fixed now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Steve Zieser said...

    Awesome! Also willing to provide art donations to the project!

    Ditto!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I, much like many of the posters above, am excited at this prospect, and wish to volunteer my artistic skills, such as they are, to the project!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for all the words of support, everybody. I will definitely be taking all y'all up on your offers to provide artwork.

    JJ: I can't wait to see that Wacky Races/Death Race concept!

    ReplyDelete