Monday, December 17, 2007

Wi+ches & Wiz_rds, part 2: The Centaur Files

As I stated yesterday I don't really dig too much on the anthropomorphic animals. However, I do think that centaurs are pretty cool. Here are the five such critters I found on my Witches & Wizards clipart CD-ROM.I like this dude's look, but I can't help but think he's short at least one pair of legs.

Dinocentaur! This piece is by George Barr, who will get his own post in this series.

I'm pretty sure I've seen stats for a wolf-headed wolftaur somewhere. An Arduin Grimoire, maybe?

Is this art from that old centaurs & swashbucklers RPG? What was that called, Lace & Steel? If memory serves that was the first game I ever heard of that had formal social combat rules, which were mapped directly onto the fencing system.


Hidden amidst the furry cheesecake were a couple dragons and this pic of a centaur. I kinda like the color scheme and the hairdo is nifty.

5 comments:

  1. I have mixed reactions to anthro stuff (and I guess I'm odd in that I never include animal-derived fantasy races in that category unless they're clearly meant to replace humans and demihumans in the setting ... if a Pantherman can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with a Dwarf and a Human and kick ass, then he's not a "furry," he's just a badass Pantherman ... ditto a Minotaur, etc). Similarly, I don't consider TMNT an "anthro" comic because they're animal mutants in a world of humans, not animal-people as human proxies.

    And I'm fine with some pure anthro stuff. In the 80s and 90s I appreciated Omaha and Albedo and Usagi Yojimbo. None of those had the slightest bit of creepy-vibe to me. I'd still read any of them if a copy were lying around (Albedo got a little dry now and then, but had its moments).

    But, by contrast, Shanda the Panda wigged me the fuck out and made my skin crawl. So does that creepy squirrel-chick thing you posted from the CD the other day, and so does the bottom centaur image.

    I've never given a lot of thought to what the trigger-factor is, but from writing this post I'd guess that it's the combination of overt sexualizing with overt cartoony preciousness. Either element, on its own, I'm cool with (especially the sexy!), but the sexy/precious combination seems to be what sets off little alarms in my head.

    So I guess I'm fine with Cheetah Temptresses as long as they're sufficiently serious and badass Cheetah Temptresses. If they have Disney-eyes, though, I ralf. Go fig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this art from that old centaurs & swashbucklers RPG? What was that called, Lace & Steel?

    It definitely looks like Donna Barr art, at any rate (the "large" version isn't any larger than the thumbnail, so I can't be 100% sure). And I'm also reasonably sure Donna Barr did all the Lace & Steel art.

    I really loved her stuff in GURPS Ice Age, and a few of her old Traveller cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading a review of Lace and Steel in Dragon way back in the day. Think it involved satryrs as well. Never even seen a copy of it, not even at Gen-con. Think I'll try RPGnow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's Donna Barr's work, but I think it's from a comic she did called "Stinz," which featured Restoration-era centaurs as the protagonists.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, that's Stinz. Stinz is some pretty cool stuff - the Centaurs live in a tiny area of Germany, and are interesting mixes of human and horse society. She's a pretty good storyteller, and a fantastic artist as well. I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete