1) Normal rules apply except new rule outlined below.
2) No spell may be memorized more than once in a single daily payload.
3) Memorized spells may be cast multiple times by means of an Overcast Roll on the second and subsequent usages.
4) Unmemorized but known spells may also be cast by means of the Overcast Rolls.
5) Known = in your library of spells
6) Failure of an Overcast Roll locks out that spell’s further usage that day. A memorized spell may not be cast for the rest of the day. Failing to Overcast a merely known spell locks out all further Overcasting of spells of that level.
7) An Overcasting Roll may also be used to read an unknown spell out of a spell book. Such castings, unlike the other uses of Overcasting Rolls, are subject to the possibility of Fumbling the casting.
8) Memorized spells remain memorized until the caster re-memorizes a new spell. If you memorize Fireball today you will remember it tomorrow, whether you cast it today or not.
9) As a consequence of rules 5 and 8 most MUs do not carry there spellbooks about with them, as they only need to be consulted when the memorized spells need to be changed.
10) Unless otherwise specified newly minted PC magic-users will be assumed to have a spooky chambers in some lodging, a crumbly old tower or a Batcave located in someplace convenient for the present adventure, such as the town the party is based out of.
11) Most spells require sonorously intoning a verbal formula and use of the proper gestures.
12) Magic Words represent a special class of spell. They can never be memorized in the mechanical sense; they can only be Overcast. This is because virtually no effort is required to memorize them, the trick is understanding the specialized vocalization and cogitation required at casting. Cf. Crowley’s use of Enochian or the Weirding Way of Dune. Hearing another MU use a Magic Word is all that is necessary to learn and begin employing it.
13) Ritual Magic represents a second special class of spell, in that they require some sort of material and/or procedural component that must be prepared prior to casting.
The RETURN!! OR A Hard Lesson About Creativity
3 hours ago