Tuesday, December 13, 2005

D&D Products, '74 to '76

1974:
Dungeons & Dragons (original 3-volume set)

1975:
Supplement I: Greyhawk
Supplement II: Blackmoor
Strategic Review #1-5
Strategic Preview #3-6 (There was no SP #1 or 2)

1976:
Supplement III: Eldritch Wizardry
Supplement IV: Gods, Demi-Gods & Heroes
Swords & Spells
Dungeon Geomorphs Set One
Strategic Review 6-7
Dragon #1-4

These are my raw materials for my retro D&D game. Not that I have or need them all. The Strategic Preview is as rare as lips on a lizard. I've not seen a copy outside the Acaeum cover images. I also don't have Gods, Demi-Gods & Heroes. Maybe a throwdown with Thor at the end of the adventure could be fun. Swords & Spells is a set of minis rules designed to be compatible with D&D, but they are crunchier than I like and I've heard reports that they are broken anyway.

3 comments:

  1. The most fun I had with D&D, I had with those materials. There was a bit of a carryover with (some of?) AD&D1, but I'm not sure it would have happened if I hadn''t started with the White Box + supplements.

    One thing I remember having, which greatly added to our enjoyment, was a set of cards from Judges Guild. Here they are: Dungeon Tac Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look cool! I love old Judges Guild stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I remember about them is that they actually changed the game--they included (or implied) new opportunities for tactical decisions. I also remember that the data on them was mostly compatible with Greyhawk but basically obsoleted by the AD&D1 PHB...which is unfortunate, because they made it very easy to use the weapon/armor to-hit modifiers.

    ReplyDelete