Sunday, January 17, 2021

I've mapped with squares and I've mapped with hexes...

...and one time I ever used polar coordinate graph paper to do a faux non-euclidean dungeon level, but it never, ever considered mapping in irregular pentagons:


Holocaustic Dungeons is a dubiously-named sci-fi/fantasy game/module series from Silverwolf Games. Why you would need to map these dungeons onto rows of half-hexagons is not clear to me. You can also get hex paper from the same company, which only raises more questions. Although published in the 1980's, you can still buy Silverwolf Games materials new, if this website that looks like it was built in 1995 can be believed.

4 comments:

  1. That is an odd one, Jeff!—I can’t quite imagine that shape’s use care, either.

    I did use 4 “spi” isometric triangle sheets to map a traditional top-down dungeon once, which was interesting but I’ve not had a chance to try it out in play yet: https://knights-n-knaves.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=14627 But that’s as far off the grid as I’ve gotten in my map design experimentations to date.

    Allan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's really just hex paper with each hex elongated down one axis and then bifurcated. could be useful if you wanna use traditional hexcrawl procedures but with some sort of twist where each hex has distinct north and south components to it, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diffworlds.com looks like that and I got a new-old stock copy of “The Phantastical Phantasmagorial Montie Haul Dungeon“. Some people still just have back stock sitting around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, I ordered some stuff from Diffworlds.com several years back, now that you mention it.

      Delete