Sunday, October 14, 2018

OSR Vision, activate!

So the last item on the questionnaire that Zak has been circulating asks you to share "The OSRest picture I could post on short notice."  Here are a bunch of the results gathered together, as sort of a snapshot of the OSR aesthetic.

From Holmes Basic, a mixed team of adventurers fighting a horrible monster.

From the Fiend Folio (Russ Nicholson, fuck yeah!), same basic concept as above, but with a grell.

I love the mood here.

I'm pretty sure this piece is from Down in the Dungeon.


A piece from the LotFP rulebook.  Nice!

The classic illo of the best, most ridiculous room in module B1 In Search of the Unknown.

Cleric lady from Mentzer Basic.

Before today, the only RPG item I knew called Beyond the Wall was a Pendragon supplement about the Picts.  This OSR book looks pretty interesting.

Pete Mullen does great work.


My contribution was fan art for my own campaign.  You can read that as either a concern over actual play versus retail products or sheer egomania.  The choice is yours.

The classic AD&D screen art.  Brings back a lot of memories for me.


This one is creepy as heck.  Is this Scrap Princess's work?  Looks like it.

I like how this one depicts the tininess of humanity in comparison to the sheer scale of the underworld environ.

This one I'm a little conflicted about.  On the one hand, I'm a fan of the classic texts (though the Survival Guides I can take or leave) but on the other hand, the books themselves don't amount to much with how some people doing something with them.

I really like how this piece depicts a bunch of different non-combat activities.


Actual play!  Yeah!  That's the thing!


I don't see enough people using torches as weapons.

Nice dungeon architecture with exploration of an unusual feature.  I also like her hoop earring.

One of Robert Altbauer's Crusaders vs. Cthulhu-type pieces.  Are any OSR publishers throwing this guy some work?  If not, somebody needs to get on that. 


More actual play!  Huzzah!

Classic Trampier piece showing the party finally making that big score.

This is a miniature of a chained demon whose butt is being used as a cannon.  That is what we are looking at right now.

A great illo from the UK version of Holmes Basic.

Quick campaign concept: Lord of the Rings, but Sauron is a mad half man/half pterosaur genetic engineer who likes to turn people into dinosaurs.  Also, all halflings have random mutations.

Yeah, this Tramp piece came up twice.

What I said about Robert Altbauer needing to be used by the OSR also goes for this Andrew Walter guy here.

This is from Misty Isles of Eld, which I have had on my DriveThru wishlist forever.  So I just bought it and Beyond the Wall.

So that's a pretty darn good selection of OSR visuals.  I am slightly disappointed that no Erol Otus pieces showed up in the mix.  I almost posted an Otus pic myself, but I couldn't make up my mind among several contenders.  He has so many great illustrations of adventuring parties getting wrecked by weird monsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment