Saw Junta being played at I-Con 28 this past weekend. The players seemed to be having a lot of fun. Unfortunately, the same group had also checked out a copy of the Tomb boardgame from the library that sat unopened and unplayed on their table for most of the night...
It´s one of those games that are better not revisited, but rather fondly remembered; a bit like a high school crush.
But man, did we have fun with Junta, I can tell you. There´s still a corpus of ad-hoc invented puns and jokes me and my buddies refer to that stem from our Junta-craze.
I've played it a few times, and it's fun. But as far as I can recall most of the time most of the players have very little incentive to keep the current government together, and the result is a long and boring succession of almost immediate collapses into civil war. I think Kremlin is better. Down With The King is another flawed but interesting "cabinet game".
Junta is such a blast. My friend Gordon always gets elected El Presidente because he gives hilarious acceptance speeches: "My fellow citizens, a new day has dawned for our fair Republic..." Good times.
Ah, the ceremonial shelling of the Presidential Palace by the Admiral of the Navy to start off a coup. The only perk of that position, normally reserved for the immediate former President...
Sheesh - Junta! I have been recalling my one evening with this game and a bunch of gamers in the eighties somewhere in a church hall in Wodonga, Victoria with the nearest gaming club i could reach, a distance of about 50 miles.
It was one of the greatest games and I still recall it. I think I played my first game of the original illuminati at the same place, btw.
SAMOSBOR
-
YOU’RE IN YOUR BROTHER’S APARTMENT @ IT’S EMPTY @ THE FLICKERING LIGHT ON
HIS COMPUTER CATCHES YOUR EYE @ YOU OPEN THE LATEST ENTRY @ THE ALARM WENT
OFF @ ...
Have Folks Forgot T$R???
-
There is much wringing of hands, clucking of tongues, and vapours regarding
statements by Hasbro CEO Chris Cocks planning to move D&D to a live service
m...
The Company Bloodhound
-
*The Hunter *
Hendrick “Bloodhound” Van Daalen works indirectly for the Dutch West India
Company. He is not technically an employee of the company, rather ...
B5 Horror on the Hill - Finished!
-
After what feels like an inordinate amount of time, we finally finished
Adventure *B5: Horror on the Hill.* We started this one back in the fall of
2024....
2024: My Year in Entertainment
-
*Books*
Trinity Continuum Core Rulebook (Onyx Path)
Recommended Reading (James Edward Raggi IV)
Trinity Continuum Aberrant - Swine and Cheese Party, et al. (...
Fantasy RPG Video Game Project
-
Long time, no blog!
Life treated me poorly, and life treated me well. I went dark on YouTube
and most certainly here due to the fact that, put simply, I...
Angstone: A Magical Substance
-
I came up with this magical substance for one of my homebrewed settings,
and maybe you can use it in a game.
Angstone Recipe:
Every cubic yard of the s...
Alma Mater / OSR Mash-Up
-
I recently ran a one-shot games day for a group of friends I rarely get to
game with in person anymore. After a friend’s initial suggestion I’ve been
think...
Swords & Wizardry
-
After a year of running Swords & Wizardry as a celebration of sorts of
D&D’s 50th anniversary, Matt Finch’s restatement of the Original D&D rules
[…] Read ...
-
A Belgian Farmhouse
[image:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/513466/A-Belgian-Farmhouse?affiliate_id=361643]
My first self-published work is ava...
cryptid in july poetry day 09, the enfield horror
-
a poem about the enfield horror
I’m an armpit leaping
around the woods on three
legs waiting
for police to arrest me
I’m the living
embodiment of cough...
A Fresh Start
-
Morning Folks
I came across someone's blog the other day and I liked it's focus, focus is
something I could use so I'm going to steal it along with anyt...
Vengeful Cuckold and Cuckquean Generator
-
I submitted a table I made to Jeff Rients for his awesome Flame Princess
Cult Zine. I have already used it in several ways during games and have
enjoye...
REVIEW – Fish Fuckers
-
Fish Fuckers is a Lamentations of the Flame Princess Adventure with Text
and Art by Kelvin Green, Graphic Design by Alex Mayo, and Editing by
Jarrett Crade...
eXPerience
-
The following are some alternative ways I want to try out in my home LotFP
game. I already use Session Attendance & Carousing but I want to try the
othe...
La torre del Necromante (Sessione 5 - ToEE)
-
*La quinta sessione, dove i nostri si avventurano a Nord alla ricerca di un
luogo pericoloso...*
*T1-4 Il tempio del male elementale*
*Personaggi* *g...
Loin de Tsarna
-
J'ai commencé à écrire l'article suivant en décembre 2018. On va essayer
d'accélérer un peu le rythme...
Splendidement isolée au milieu de la steppe et ...
Folk Horror Wyrdness in Traditional Low Fantasy
-
My Dreadful Ghoulies,
I think it started when I read an old blog post from Dreams in the Lich
House where John was combining Oerth with darker influence...
One page dungeon contest!
-
The one page dungeon contest's deadline is coming up on May 1st and I am
currently finishing up my rough draft and sketches on mine. It's my first
time giv...
New adventure
-
Finally got around to uploading a new adventure. You can find it under
the adventures tab or just jump right to it from the link below. The
adventure is...
Conformity is Easy but Often Unwise.
-
*"Trying to conform to frantic society is like trying to dance in rhythm
with an erupting volcano. The awakened see society's problems as
originating fro...
Wicked times! :)
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely! Although I was probably too young to understand all of the jokes.
ReplyDeleteSaw Junta being played at I-Con 28 this past weekend. The players seemed to be having a lot of fun. Unfortunately, the same group had also checked out a copy of the Tomb boardgame from the library that sat unopened and unplayed on their table for most of the night...
ReplyDeleteIt´s one of those games that are better not revisited, but rather fondly remembered; a bit like a high school crush.
ReplyDeleteBut man, did we have fun with Junta, I can tell you. There´s still a corpus of ad-hoc invented puns and jokes me and my buddies refer to that stem from our Junta-craze.
I had some buddies in college who were obsessed with Junta. I never really got into it but I often wish I had.
ReplyDeleteJunta is great fun.
ReplyDeleteIt's one of the few board games my group has explicitly asked for me to bring back.
I've played it a few times, and it's fun. But as far as I can recall most of the time most of the players have very little incentive to keep the current government together, and the result is a long and boring succession of almost immediate collapses into civil war. I think Kremlin is better. Down With The King is another flawed but interesting "cabinet game".
ReplyDeleteJunta is such a blast. My friend Gordon always gets elected El Presidente because he gives hilarious acceptance speeches: "My fellow citizens, a new day has dawned for our fair Republic..." Good times.
ReplyDeleteAh, the ceremonial shelling of the Presidential Palace by the Admiral of the Navy to start off a coup. The only perk of that position, normally reserved for the immediate former President...
ReplyDeleteAn absolute classic, although with the benefit of hindsight I now think the game was too long and repetitive.
ReplyDeleteIt was hilarious for the first three hours of play though.
Played a lot back in the day.
ReplyDeleteSheesh - Junta! I have been recalling my one evening with this game and a bunch of gamers in the eighties somewhere in a church hall in Wodonga, Victoria with the nearest gaming club i could reach, a distance of about 50 miles.
ReplyDeleteIt was one of the greatest games and I still recall it. I think I played my first game of the original illuminati at the same place, btw.