- What is the deal with my cleric's religion?
- Where can we go to buy standard equipment?
- Where can we go to get platemail custom fitted for this monster I just befriended?
- Who is the mightiest wizard in the land?
- Who is the greatest warrior in the land?
- Who is the richest person in the land?
- Where can we go to get some magical healing?
- Where can we go to get cures for the following conditions: poison, disease, curse, level drain, lycanthropy, polymorph, alignment change, death, undeath?
- Is there a magic guild my MU belongs to or that I can join in order to get more spells?
- Where can I find an alchemist, sage or other expert NPC?
- Where can I hire mercenaries?
- Is there any place on the map where swords are illegal, magic is outlawed or any other notable hassles from Johnny Law?
- Which way to the nearest tavern?
- What monsters are terrorizing the countryside sufficiently that if I kill them I will become famous?
- Are there any wars brewing I could go fight?
- How about gladiatorial arenas complete with hard-won glory and fabulous cash prizes?
- Are there any secret societies with sinister agendas I could join and/or fight?
- What is there to eat around here?
- Any legendary lost treasures I could be looking for?
- Where is the nearest dragon or other monster with Type H treasure?
Wednesday, April 27, 2011
twenty quick questions for your campaign setting
You can run D&D with just some PCs and a dungeon. I think that's totally legit. But if you have a campaign setting, here are some things for you to think about. Better to muse on these before your players ask you, rather than finding yourself on the spot.