Friday, April 18, 2008

Fight On!

I am tickled pink to announce the first issue of a brand new print-on-demand fanzine devoted to old school style gaming. Fight On! was conceived of and created by the folks over at the Original D&D Discussion boards. The first issue is pretty much entirely OD&D, but the vision of the magazine is wider in scope than any one system. What Fight On! celebrates is the do-it-yourself spirit in gaming. I had the opportunity to have coffee (well, I had chai) with the editor the other day and his hope is for the next issue to contain stuff for Tunnels & Trolls, Forward... to Adventure!, Encounter Critical, and Mazes & Minotaurs. Or systemless articles. Or articles devoted to other games both old and new that still keep alive that spirit of make-it-up-and-run-with-it that makes this hobby a vibrant playground for dreamers and goofballs.

Some really awesome people worked on this first issue. Doc Rotwang! did some fabulous illos, including the cover. (My graphic here is kinda crappy. The actual art looks a lot better.) You can order your own copy through lulu. Right now Fight On! is only available via print-on-demand but a PDF option is in the works so that folks living outside the US won't have to sell blood to cover shipping costs.

7 comments:

  1. Lulu quotes £3.75 for me - still more than the actual book, but for bigger, more expensive books this would be quote a reasonably price (its a flat rate). I believe they print books for Europe in Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:35 PM

    Awesome! So ordered!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jeff --

    I drew a cartoon of myself ferret-legging. Can taht be the next cover piece?

    -- R!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks cool; can't wait for the PDF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Count me in as another vote for the PDF distribution. For things like this, I'll PDF, print, and bind on my own for cheaper.

    Sounds like an awesome idea. Might try my hand at a submission some time if they are accepting "outside" articles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:52 PM

    I ordered mine, yesterday. If the printing/binding from Lulu is nice, I'm willing to pay for it. It's a PITA to do it, myself, even if it's cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just ordered it Jeff. best of luck with this my friend!
    I'll toss out a plug for it at the Lair.

    ReplyDelete